• Added ability to display FIT Activities on the map
  • Improved hiking route calculation performance
  • Fixed issue with using Spell Search to find cities in BirdsEye Direct
  • Fixed issue with deleting routes
  • Fixed issue with erroneous Track Archive Error dialog displaying at startup
  • Fixed keypad input preventing Wi-Fi networks from being added
  • Fixed issue with trip info fields not resetting
  • Fixed issue with displaying invalid positions in some position formats
  • Fixed issue with mismatched durations in Trip Computer and Recording Controls when using Expedition Mode
  • Fixed issue with not being able to display HuntView maps if a BirdsEye map is visible
  • Fixed issues with connecting to Bluetooth bike speed, cadence, and speed + cadence sensors
  • Fixed issues with CIQ applications not being able to download content
  • Fixed issue with displaying incorrect coordinates on the Satellite page when in satellite demo mode
  • Fixed issue with sending XERO locations to another device
  • Fixed issue with not properly displaying paired inReach Remote device as connected
There may also be undocumented changes, so if you notice anything else, let us know here!
Hiker

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 4.10

Unread post by Hiker »

Hello,

FW 4.10 still fails to perform "Auto Calibration" of the Altimeter in "Continuous" mode. There so far has been no firmware working accordingly concerning autocalibration. However Garmin has been made aware and also cofirmed the bug more than six months ago. They either are unwilling or not able to tackle the bug. In retrospect the GPSMAP66 seems to be a bad buy.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Hiker, is there a forum post here (or anywhere) that discusses this issue? Do you have a Garmin case number?
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

Hello
Many thanks for your response. I do have a handful of case numbers. I suppose, none of them is active. All my posts on this forum relate to the issue. It is long a going complaint, possibly a never ending story. Garmin confirmed the bug on 21-8-2019. I described the bug painstakingly through e-mail in their native language to be forwarded to their firmware people. This was more than once.
They are ever so cute on the line. I meanwhile even got the third replacement. I was given promises, but I can’t help feeling that I’m taken for a ride.
Upon release of FW V3.40 they claimed “Improved altitude accuracy with auto calibration”. They might enlighten me, how a feature that does not work at all, has improved accuracy.
Bug #66 relates to the issue. I recently posted under “Trip Log – Total Ascent”.
I would appreciate if the matter would be focused on, so that Garmin would remedy the bug.
paulxtr

Unread post by paulxtr »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:17 pm
  • Fixed issue with displaying incorrect coordinates on the Satellite page when in satellite demo mode
Wow, can't believe they put effort into fixing this whilst ignoring so many more important issues.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Maybe try this from Garmin.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... B1B9A.html

Calibrating the Barometric Altimeter

You can manually calibrate the barometric altimeter if you know the correct elevation or the correct barometric pressure.

Go to a location where the elevation or barometric pressure is known.
From the altimeter, select MENU.
Select Altimeter Setup > Calibrate Altimeter.
Select Method to select the measurement to use in calibration.
Enter the measurement.
Select Calibrate.
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

This only works if the barometric pressure solely depends on your altitude. If the weather changes, the pressure at a given locality is everything but constant. You do require continuous automatic calibration to have correct altitudes in your recorded track. Also normalized pressure recording requires automatic calibration which never has been working on the 66.

It is a feature the GPSr is supposed to have and which I bought it for.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Did they improve compass calibration?
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

To tell you the truth I just go out and hike what every the weather is like. Can not be always checking what the barometric pressure is nor do I care. The same with climbing up a hill or going down a hill. We know we are going up or down.
How high I went or how low I have descended is of no real concern to me. The point is to get out and enjoy what you are doing. Sometimes we spend to much time with things that are not really important. With my 66s I get to where I set out to go and return. Do my Geocaching on other hikes. Never got lost with the 66s nor with my old eTrex Legend HCx.
With movement right now being restricted because of this virus we need just to enjoy life and stop finding fault with our GPS units or anything else.

Happy Hiking.........
Asprin624
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

I think a GPSr is a technical device. So the focus of a related forum should cover sortlike items, in particular if a bug enjoys a life time of more than sixh months.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”