GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 4.10

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Any Luck?
monomo

Unread post by monomo »

Not yet. I sent the device to Garmin to get it fixed.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Damn, my unit was some minutes in the wlan.
Now i startet, had a prompt asking yes or no.
I entered yes, and now, i have the new firmware. :-((((
Hmmm

30 seconds later i have my first problem.

On selecting a track, where can i select
Elevation plot
Show on map
Set color
Copy reverse
Archive

I cannot find this option in 4.10 on the place, where it should be
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Those functions are all in the 'Recording Controls' page.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Yes, you are right. Thank you 😊
As i am using a Montana a lot of time, it is irritating, that there is a different menue structure
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

I quite can't understand why they put effort into rearanging the userinterface. There are more basic functions that are essential to a GPSr, "automatic calibration of the barometric altimeter" being one of them. Up till now we have not seen it in a presentable state.

Take care and keep well!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

g66 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:31 am As i am using a Montana a lot of time, it is irritating, that there is a different menue structure
First Gen Montana (600/650) I am guessing?

The 'Recording Controls' page was developed largely due to user input and requests for more tracklog recording features over the years prior to the release of the Oregon 6x0 series. Every Garmin outdoor recreation handheld GPSr since has included these new features and functions, including the updated Gen II Montana series (610/680).

Your GPSMAP 66 has so many features that didn't even exist when your Montana was produced, how could the menus and controls remain completely the same?

I absolutely loved my Montana 650 when I first acquired it. It was the first truly revolutionary GPSr Garmin had released in some time, with so many new features and capabilities never before available compared to any other GPSr available at the time. But later the Oregon 6x0 would add even more new functionality before being replaced by an evolutionary improved Oregon 7x0. Now the GPSMAP 66, with the same display size as the Oregon 6x0/7x0 includes even more features and capabilities.

Where does it end? It does not.

Many are looking forward to the next big release from Garmin which is certain to come with updated features, more functionality, and a new learning curve to master them all!
g66

Unread post by g66 »

I am used to give several tracks a specific color.
So ich can make a mixture of my track by following different colored saved tracks.

I do not know, how to do so on a 66.

How can i let different tracks show on map at same time in different colors.

Yes, 650 Montana is my best joice for doing so - on a 66 i have no idea to show different racks at same time in different colors.

Which feature is on the 66 which i could miss on a montana?
There are additional functions, like bluetooth and wifi and so on, but no real better feature for navigating (for me)

Currently i am sending a track via Komoot to 66, but this takes about 5 minutes for a short 50km track - i do not know why this takes more than 10 seconds.

Anyway, i am glad, jnx is still working - thank you Brinkster - we are missing you!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You can open any non-archived track in 'Saved Tracks' page individually, and select desired color and map page display preference.

Tracks that are 'archived' must first be unarchived by marking as a 'Favorite' before they can be edited for color and display preference.

FYI, the GPSMAP 66 is a mild evolution of the Oregon 7x0 with interface adjustments to operate without the touchscreen display. Most functions operate the same on both devices. See the Oregon 7x0 'Applications' page for information not yet available on the GPSMAP 66 page.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”