GPSMAP 66 Firmware 4.10

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
g66

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 4.10

Unread post by g66 »

Great, thank you!
I was using the Icon TRACKS (via FIND) instead of Icon SAVED TRACKS (double click of MENUE)

Thank you for clarification - this happens by using the Montana 650 for a longer time :roll:
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

That explains it!

One is used to search for a track as destination, the other is to manage stored tracks.

8^)
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

What I have notice is when I put the 66s in Expedition Mode it does not say there.
This is since I updated to Firmware Update 4.10.
I can press on the top button and the screen will resume and show where I am.
Then the screen will blank after 30 sec. All OK there.
But sometimes after the 3 or 4 time I have push on the top button to resume and then the screen blanks only to find I am no longer in Expedition Mode. The map pops up right away.
Again have to push long on the top button to put it back in Expedition Mode.

It is no big deal.
Has anyone run into this?.
There should be another way to put the 66 in Expedition Mode.
One of the other keys to do that and leave the top button to just wakeup the 66 when in Expedition Mode.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

asprin624,

I have not tested yet, but you do realize it takes >2 minutes of no activity before GPSMAP 66 starts 30 second countdown to enter Expedition Mode? Thus, more than 2½ minutes of no activity required before Expedition Mode is resumed.
asprin624

I am talking anywhere from 5 mins to 15 mins before I press the button to see to see where I am sometimes longer.
But like I said no real big deal I just put it back in Expedition Mode. Just wanted to point out this since the update.
Been going out everyday to do Geocaching for 2 or 3 hours. Other than that the 66s is a great unit.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Which method are you using to put it back in Expedition Mode?
asprin624

Is there another way to do the same thing??

Just pressing the power button till it give me the Expedition Mode or turn it off.
I just put in back in Expedition Mode and go back to hiking.
There is no set time that I wake up the 66 as I walk.
It is a random thing to push on the power button to check how far I am to where I am going and if I need to go right or left on a path. It is set to 30 sec to turn off the screen. May be I need to set it longer when getting closer to a Geocache location.

I have set the 66 up for the best battery use. In doing so you need to turn off a lot of things that come with the 66 in order to get good battery life. Which I find for a GPS Unit strange. This Unit is at the high end of GPS Units from Garmin.

Have never run into any of this with my eTrex Legend HCx. It still today runs great with out having to tweak anything thing to save on the batteries. I still get 16 to 18 hours on the eTrex with 5 year old batteries in it.

Yes you get much more with the 66 but you have to turn most of it off and put it in sleep mode to save on the batteries.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We tested our GPSMAP 66s for >10 hours yesterday, all time in Expedition Mode. We resumed operation multiple times randomly, and each time it was in Expedition Mode as expected. We were not able to reproduce finding the unit unexpectedly not in Expedition Mode. But this is only one day of testing.

Sounds like something is happening on your unit that prevents it from going back into Expedition Mode after you have resumed from it, but not every time. When your map pops up immediately, that indicates likely the battery save option was active (turning screen off), but not Expedition Mode.

The trick here will be discovering why.

Do you still have any of the original profiles on the unit that have not been modified?

Can you enable one of those, then create a new profile (name it 'XM' or similar), then enter that profile and make as few changes as possible to retest expedition mode operation for a day or two, and report those results?
asprin624

I can show you when it dropped out from the track record.

All I did was press on the power button to see where I needed to turn.
It was not the correct path so I went to the next path and check again and that is when I saw I was not in the Expedition Mode anymore. Put it back on and never had a problem for the rest of the hike.

Is there a way that might take it out of Expedition Mode if the power button is pushed wrong???
Say to long or to short. As I do not remember how I did it to stop Expedition Mode.
I have it set to prompt me also when putting it in Expedition Mode.

I will try in the next day or so a new setup as you have me to do.
Then I will let you know what happens.

Unread post by 987 »

Reporting a freeze:
software 4.10 (GPS 2.70).
The unit froze on the active route page while routing and i had to remove the batteries to start again.
I cant say if i pressed any button and it froze, or it simply froze before i discovered it.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”