Expedition Mode Configurable Timeout

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
robert

Expedition Mode Configurable Timeout

Unread post by robert »

Having had some more time with the unit and thinking through how I used my previous device I think the following would be good enhancements to the 66. I'd appreciate other users thoughts.

Currently the Expedition Mode can be set to timeout after 2 minutes of inactivity only. My previous GPS device was a Satmap. I found their configurable timeout very useful. This allowed for the unit to enter their version of Expedition Mode after a user configurable period of inactivity.

This was useful when needing to relocate yourself and direction of travel. So when this was needed the unit could be powered on and then left to run in normal mode which would provide an accurate bread crumb trail of where you have just walked. This could then be reviewed to confirm location and direction of travel. If in the meantime you relocated yourself or forget to review the unit it would automatically go back into Expedition mode at the end of the timeout.

If within the Expedition Mode settings the Expedition Mode Timeout could be set to 2min, 5min, 15min, 30min would be a very useful feature to have to ensure that batteries do not run down in error. If it would clean the user interface up an option could also be added to the list for Never which would remove the need for Auto, Never setting within the Expedition mode.

Usually on a long Trek the GPS is unused but there are times when it is needed more frequently to locate a feature on the landscape. During these periods the GPS may be reviewed a number of times over a short period of time. Having to turn the unit on each time can be cumbersome. Being able to manipulate the Enter Expedition Mode timeout at the point the unit is powered off is a useful feature.

When the Power Button is pressed the option to enter Expedition Mode is given. If some additional options were given to Enter Expedition Mode in 5mins, 10mins, 30mins it would allow this use of the device to be more user friendly.
g66

Re: Expedition Mode Configurable Timeout

Unread post by g66 »

Again :D
This would be a great feature - i already was looking in the menues for this function, but could not find it

You cannot make another post so soon after your last. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
robert

Re: Expedition Mode Configurable Timeout

Unread post by robert »

g66 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:27 pm Again :D
This would be a great feature - i already was looking in the menues for this function, but could not find it

You cannot make another post so soon after your last. :shock: :shock:
Ah, I had already typed these up in Word to get my thoughts straight. These features would really make a great product better for me. I hope to convince Garmin also. :D :?:

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”