Trip Log - Total Ascent [Bug 72]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
robert

Trip Log - Total Ascent [Bug 72]

Unread post by robert »

I have Total Ascent selected as one of the data fields to display in my trip log. However no matter what I do I cannot get it to reset to zero.

1) No Active Route
2) Tried Reset, Reset Trip Data
3) Trip Recording is stopped

What am I doing wrong?

What I am after is a display of the amount of Ascent that has been undertaken so far on today's trip.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Trip Log - Total Ascent [Bug 72]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

My apologies, this is a known issue with firmware 3.40, but had not been posted to the Common Issues page yet! It is now listed as Bug 72.

Thank You for the reminder!
robert

Unread post by robert »

No problem.

I don't know how close you are to Garmin. But it has got to be worthwhile to them to invest in some automated testing for their software. Looking at the user interfaces I assume they have one code base for a lot of their products. So having automated test tools could be applied across their whole range. This aligned to continuous integrations and daily build/tests would really help them deliver bug free products.

https://martinfowler.com/articles/conti ... ation.html

Bugs like this (core functionality) still there a year after launch really isn't very good quality control.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Actually, this bug is NEW to firmware 3.40, and did not exist previously.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Lets hope to get some new additional bugs with 3.50 8-)

I am joking !!!!!
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:19 pm Actually, this bug is NEW to firmware 3.40, and did not exist previously.
Continuous integration and daily builds with automated tests ensures that existing functionality does not get broken when new features/bug fixes are added.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Preaching to the choir here!
fulbrich

Unread post by fulbrich »

g66 wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:25 pm Lets hope to get some new additional bugs with 3.50 8-)

I am joking !!!!!
Do you think, we get new firmware updates ? I hope they continue developing...
-- Greetings from Germany --
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Eventually, yes - but they have been releasing many updates for the fitness products recently... Certainly the GPSMAP 66 is not forgotten.
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

Hello
I would like to remind, that apart from the user interface the numerics of the ascent figures should be trustworthy. This would imply the barometric altitude, which the ascent figures are based on, to be independent of the weather situation. In consequence the “Auto Calibration” of the altimeter should work in continuous mode. Fw 2.10 through to 3.40 fail in this respect. The feature simply is non-functional. I meanwhile had three replacements of my 66. All show the same behaviour. I’m tempted to regard this as a newly discovered physical constant. However, the bug has evolved from FW 3.10 to 3.40 (credits to Charles Darwin). Upon release of FW 3.40 it was claimed in the release notes that “Improved altitude accuracy with auto calibration” had been achieved, which I would not dare to confirm.

When contacting Garmin, they are ever so courteous and committed to tackle the bug. However, I have described the bug painstakingly both on phone and through mail more than once. This spoils the otherwise good impression of the GPSMAP 66.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”