Settings Saved Under Profiles

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Settings Saved Under Profiles

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Garmin have many things on their table, and this one is not currently very high on the priority list. When I do hear something, I will report it here!
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:30 pm Garmin have many things on their table, and this one is not currently very high on the priority list. When I do hear something, I will report it here!
All I was asking was that it goes on your feature request page.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I'll need you to expand more on what exactly "High Power settings added to the Profile" means?
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:33 pm I'll need you to expand more on what exactly "High Power settings added to the Profile" means?
See:-
https://www.gpsrchive.com/GPSMAP/GPSMAP ... ery%20Life

Of the list shown on the above page only
  • Reduce Backlight Timeout
  • Adjust Recording Controls to 'Auto' or 'Off'
seems to be persisted via the Profile.

The following features can be set in the user interface to reduce the power consumption of the device, but the setting is not persisted in the Profile.
  • Turn the Backlight off when not absolutely needed
  • Decrease Backlight Brightness
  • Enable Battery Save Mode
  • Disable Wi-Fi
  • Disable Bluetooth
  • Disable ANT+ Sensors
  • Disable the magnetic compass
  • Disable GLONASS
  • Disable GALILEO
  • Disable WAAS/EGNOS
  • Set Map Orientation to 'North Up', not 'Track Up'
What I would like to create is a Low Power Profile which has maximum battery life with reduced functionality. I would use this when battery life was my most important priority. I could then also have a High Power profile when I knew that battery consumption was not as issue.

I know we have Expedition mode, but when we drop out of Expedition mode to interact with the device all of these features will turn on if not individually turned off. It is very easy to forget which of these are ON or OFF. Checking and remembering which of these to turn off when Low Power operation is desired is very cumbersome and error prone (i.e. forgetting exactly what needs to be checked). Having a profile to turn them all ON or OFF would be much easier to use.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Creating a dedicated low power profile is not sufficient?

(of course, the settings that are not profile dependent are an issue)

Feature Request 22 posted!
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Good idea, i also was thinking about this - but it will be never released by garmin.
robert

Unread post by robert »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:02 am Creating a dedicated low power profile is not sufficient?

(of course, the settings that are not profile dependent are an issue)

Feature Request 22 posted!
Thanks for adding this.

Profiles are a user configurable feature. What "I" want to do is create a Low Power Hiking Profile and a High Power Hiking Profile with the settings above set correctly for each. But as they are not persisted in the Profile settings I can't.
Last edited by robert on Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
robert

Unread post by robert »

g66 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:42 am Good idea, i also was thinking about this - but it will be never released by garmin.
Why do you say that? It seems like an obvious feature and as all of the core functionality is there, adding the status variables for each of the features above to the Profile configuration and flushing these out when the Profile is changed would seem to be a small programming task.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

I have many years of garmin-usage since geko 201 - about a dozen of handheld units, and i cannot remember of any feature update demanded by users.
robert

Unread post by robert »

g66 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:46 am I have many years of garmin-usage since geko 201 - about a dozen of handheld units, and i cannot remember of any feature update demanded by users.
Well hopefully I wasn't demanding this feature be added, but suggesting how useful this would be and trying to get it highlighted to them as best possible Surely they must listen to user feedback to develop their product? I live in hope.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”