GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.40

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.40

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Welcome to the world of Garmin Ownership!
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Nice video - freeze
https://youtu.be/w3SpQI11bks
Hiker

Unread post by Hiker »

Hello to all,
I got hold of FW V3.40. Bug no. 66 had been reported by me, relating to 3.10 and earlier. The bug by then had been confirmed as being existent, both by Garmin in Munich and the people involved with FW development. "Improved altitude accuracy with auto calibration" seems not to work at all with 3.40. However with 3.10 and earlier auto calibration was fine with no "activity" initiated. It was non functional with an activity either started or paused. Irrespectively of the status of an activity V3.40 shows no autocalibration at all. The barometric altimeter reading solely depends on the initial (arbitrary) altitude setting and the barometric pressure over time at that altitude. So to my impression things have gone for the worse.

To put it in a nutshell, "Improved altitude accuracy with auto calibration" at it's best is wishful thinking, at least for the time being. I will call Garmin support to clarify the issue.
bonstetten

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 3.40 [Bug 69]

Unread post by bonstetten »

The new map-menu entry "Hide Dashboard" ist not translated (tested in german and french).

Translation seems not be on the checklist for new firmware-releases :D
rogerm

Unread post by rogerm »

@g66
I was offered the beta software from Garmin Support. I'd reported the problem of wildly inaccurate odometer and they asked if I wanted to test out a version that was supposed to fix it.

Regarding "gps-satellite selection", do you mean the issue with it ceasing to get any satellite data after resuming from expedition mode? I'd forgotten about that issue and have not looked for it. Though I see from what I sent to Garmin that when this happened, the unit took 25s to come out of expedition mode and I have definitely not seen that happen. So that problem might well be fixed.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Thanks for feedback

If you use gps combined with glonass or Galileo
After expedition mode is enabled
only gps is working
rogerm

Unread post by rogerm »

No, if you have Glonass or Galileo enabled, they become disabled if you go into expedition mode and come out again. It seems that this is related to the unit stopping reception of all satellites since while I said I'd not seen the issue for a while, I just saw it twice when I enabled Glonass. To stop the issue it seems I had to ensure only GPS satellites were selected and then power off and on again.

While losing all satellites is definitely not what you want to do, I'm also not sure that you'd want to enable Glonass/Galileo when you come out of expedition mode. The whole point of it is to save power and if you wake it up, say to see how far you've come, re-enabling other satellite systems is likely not what you want.

What I'd like is for Garmin to make some of these settings (such as satellite systems, battery save mode) profile specific so I could have a 'low power profile' that I'd use whenever I need maximum battery life without having to remember to enable and disable specific features.

I think in one of the other threads you'd said you couldn't manage a day in normal mode. For the record, I tried enabling battery save mode and disabling the compass and using a set of freshly changed Garmin batteries, my unit managed just over 19 hours based on the trip time the unit reports.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

g66 wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:15 pm If you use gps combined with glonass or Galileo
After expedition mode is enabled
only gps is working
Exactly. This is correct and normal operation.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup > Expedition Mode
sammyB

Unread post by sammyB »

bonstetten wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:10 pm The new map-menu entry "Hide Dashboard" ist not translated (tested in german and french).

Translation seems not be on the checklist for new firmware-releases :D
Also in Dutch. it is still English.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Can someone please share a screenshot of Show/Hide Dashboard menu not being displayed in configured language?

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”