When does auto archive of tracks happen?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: When does auto archive of tracks happen?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Due to the nature of this post, testing can only occur once a day.

Thus far, with my GPSMAP 66 v310(270) set to archive daily, each day after turning the unit on for the first time, I have found the previous days GPX tracklog archived on the device in "Track Manager > Archived Tracks > Auto >" without fail.

These same GPX files are found in the 'Garmin\GPX\Archive\Auto' directory on the GPSMAP 66 when connected to my computer via USB.

The GPX tracklogs are all auto-named by date and time with a "Day" suffix added to indicate they were saved based on the 'Auto Archive Daily' setting.
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

I tested another couple of days and auto archive worked. I can't explain why it didn't work the first two days. In the end, between this (where I'd have to reboot the unit), random shutdowns (where I'd have to reboot the unit), a broken expedition mode (where I'd have to reboot the unit), a broken route screen (where waypoint names are blank), and the whole weird activities thing (I want a serious navigation tool and data recorder, not an overgrown fitness tracker), I sent the 66st back and got a 64st instead.

I managed to get the 64st on sale for US$190. Initial impression: there's no way the 66st is worth US$260 more than the 64st. The 64st has a couple of bugs I've already run into, but it's definitely more stable than the 66st - I swear Garmin must not have bothered to ever try to use the 66st themselves, and I'm pretty disappointed to see the lack of QA and testing. All my previous Garmin products were rock-solid and reliable (as mentioned earlier in this thread, my 12 year old 76csx is still cranking along perfectly - the thing has never let me down).

I'm sure Garmin will eventually work out the bugs, but I needed an additional unit for Search and Rescue field operations, and that means it has to be recording tracklogs with 100% reliability for days without requiring anything but fresh batteries.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Where did you find the 64st for 190 USD?
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

Sportsman's Warehouse - as of right now, that sale is still on, though I had to pick up at my local store as they were out of stock online. Pretty good deal!
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Bass Pro Shop here in Toronto has it on for $269 CDN and a conversion rate of 1.36 makes it just about the same. A month earlier it was $249 same store. That's when I bought it.
steerage250

Unread post by steerage250 »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:08 pm you can just use the Garmin/GPX/Current/Current.gpx file, which is the same tracklog recording the GPSr is going to save as your activity when directed to do so. This way, you do not have to eject, reboot, save, and reconnect to accomplish the same result.
thanks !

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”