Bad experience abriad: OSM Map and GC-data has gone.

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
bonstetten

Bad experience abriad: OSM Map and GC-data has gone.

Unread post by bonstetten »

Today, on a long hike abroad (no internet available), I try to choose a waypoint, when the GPS 66st „freezed“, and the display dimmed away. Then I could then power it on again, but:

- Loaded OSM-Map has gone (not available in the map setup and I could not longer find it in the evening at home on the device under /gamin where I loaded it before)
Note: I had to use a OSM map, because the Garmin-Topo I own does not shows the needed details.
- The loaded Geocaching-Data (using Live Geocaching at home) had gone - no more GC-data available on the device.

I‘ve seen that the file „Device.xml“ has changed the file extension on the device: Device.x%06l
This info with Device.xl and System.xml already sent to Garmin.
(Firmware 3.1)
bonstetten

Re: Bad experience abriad: OSM Map and GC-data has gone.

Correction: Strange File-Extension was Device.x%09l
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I have not experienced that level of corruption on my devices!

I hope they can determine why that happened....
bonstetten

I don't expect that either - and that in the middle of nowhere. Suddenly your main navigation system doesn't work anymore - luckily I had a paper backup with me.
bonstetten

Feedback from Garmin to this error cse: I will get a new device.
I can not belive that the reason is in the hardware, but they do not know this error.
g66

Unread post by g66 »

Garmin do not know a lot of errors.
I called them some days ago about the trip odometer error. - it was already reported be an other user to garmin.
Garmin did not know anything about it.
I do not know, how they collect bugs - but this was curious for me.

A reported error, and some days later, they cannot find it in the database.

I also do not think, your problem is a hardware error - seems to be a software problem for me.
bonstetten

If I were a Garmin product manager, I would use gpsrchive.com as „to do“-List for my engineers and ask for some beta-testers here in the forum :D
I am convinced, I could improve the product in short time.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I'm convinced we're all beta testers for Garmin. How handy can it be to have all those bugs and shortcomings compiled in an organized manner on a forum such as this. I personally think the Garmin 66 series left the factory not thoroughly tested, and I also believe Garmin knew about it. They've got us and this forum to provide feedback on a regular basis. Overall, I like Garmin products and I have many, but I think they dropped the ball on this model. It's been about a year now and what are we up to, almost 70 confirmed bugs, months of dialogue on total ascent too low and the same for proximity alarms (BTW, are those two concerns fixed, yet?) not to mention requested and/or missing features, and countless random crashes still occuring to many frustrated owners. I don't know of anyone who possesses an electronic device of similar value with so many problems and who would be willing to put up with this nonsense like a lot of us are. For the first time in my long relationship with Garmin, I'm disappointed.
mstawick

Unread post by mstawick »

I've had this happen to me on some older firmware once when I tried to turn on the unit on almost empty batteries a couple of times (2-3 times). It would start turning on, and then maybe show low-battery window (while still turning on), and then the screen would freeze and start fading away slowly. What I discovered at home was that everything was reset, and tracks and map data gone.

I thought it might be some auto-fix feature, where it would reset itself after couple of unsuccessful attempts to turn on. As usual, Garmin support was extremely unhelpful (local Polish support). They told me to reinstall firmware on my watch (yes, watch...).
deurenkletser

Unread post by deurenkletser »

I've had the some problem with my device a few weeks back. After a hike, I saved the track. When I came home and powered the GPSMap 66 up, it did a complete reset and all my data was gone...

I recovered the missing files with some software to recover files after a delete, so no big deal there. But what when this happens during a hike...

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”