Geocache Information Download Issue

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
bonstetten

Geocache Information Download Issue

Unread post by bonstetten »

I found following issue while Geocaching:
I loaded at home pocket queries using „Live Geocachign“. While doing a multicache (whiteout online connection), I used the „Coordinates“-Function, which generates an „Next Stage“ as in other GPS models. But here on the 66st the cache information are not copied (when beeing offline), I just see empty pages on Description, Hint, etc.
The advantage to use the „Next Stage“-function for me is to have access to the cache information when proceeding to the „netx stage“. Whith this behavior I have to switch back to the original geocache.

Can anybody confirm this or do I have overseen something?

(FW-Version: 3.1)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geocache Information Download Issue

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I edited your thread title to more accurately represent the actual issue you are experiencing.

With GCLive data such as lists and PQs, you can actually view the download progress and status for each, allowing you to keep the unit connected long enough to get all the information loaded.

However, when using the Geocache page Map Tab, you are not given any indication of when all geocache data has been downloaded. (See GPSMAP 66 Feature Request #9)

It sounds very much like you disconnected your GPSMAP 66 from whatever internet connection it had before it was finished downloading all geocache information.

In the future, when downloading PQs and Lists, once the unit indicates it is downloading them, re-open the list and observe the progress for each item, keeping the internet connection until complete.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please also note this information is available from the GPSrChive home page by selecting 'How To... > Geocaching > 1.6'
bonstetten

Thanks for the feedback.
But I downloaded the PQ at home and checked unter settings -> Geocaching -> Live Geocaching that the PQ was synched 100%.
So, that can not be the reason.
bonstetten

I could reproduce the issue:
- Live Geocaching (at my hotel were I‘ve Interenet -Access) —> Download PQ —> Check if synchronized (100%) ok
- Outdoor, no Internet-Connection: Select a multicache, enter Coordinates —> GPS generates „Next Stage“, but without Geocachng-Infos as Description, Hint, Activie, etc.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

What are the GC codes for the geocaches you are not seeing all the information for in your PQ?
bonstetten

I can reproduce it with different caches, i do not found one where the problem does not exist.
Try: GC5DNEE

Note:the problem exists if you have no internet-connection. I‘t seems, that the GPS loads the data from the internet and does not use the loaded data (what he does, when you work with manually loaded GPX-Files)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

bonstetten wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:16 pm I can reproduce it with different caches, i do not found one where the problem does not exist.
Try: GC5DNEE

Note:the problem exists if you have no internet-connection. I‘t seems, that the GPS loads the data from the internet and does not use the loaded data (what he does, when you work with manually loaded GPX-Files)
I see this is a Multi-Cache.

I just downloaded it via GCLive and ALL information is available on my GPSMAP 66, even with internet disabled.

What data are you not able to see?

I suspect maybe you cant see the description AFTER you have started navigation to a 'Next Stage'?
bonstetten

If you downloaded the geocache-Info using „Live Geochacing“, go „offline“ then select the Cache as active destination.
Now in the geocache details select „coordinates“, enter there something —> GPS creates „next stage“, which should be the new destination.
Now have a look into the details of this „geocache“ (next stage“) :

If you load geocaches using a gpx file, you see all data from the original geocache.
In this case (downloaded using Live Geocaching) this details are not displayed on my device (if I‘m „offline“).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I suspected as much. This issue is listed as Bug 67 on GPSMAP 66 Common Issue page, and Garmin is fully aware.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”