Firmware 3.00 update

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
ivhs72

Firmware 3.00 update

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Just went to sync my 66s, and Garmin Express said there is an new update available, 3.0. Anyone have any ideas about this? When did it drop?
ivhs72

Re: Firmware 3.00 update

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I called Garmin, there is a new 3.0 update, but it was only pushed out to about 20% of the people who have the 66s/66st. They said there are quite a few fixes/patches on it. Right now I'm still waiting for mine to boot past the Loading Waypoints, etc, screen.. :roll: ..what else is new? :(
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

From another forum:

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.00:

- Added support for G3 Marine Cartography.
- Added TracBack to active track map review menu.
- Fixed possible issue with ascent / descent stats during Expedition Mode.
- Fixed possible issue on system resets.
- Fixed possible issue when routing to photos.
- Fixed possible issue when stopping navigation.
- Fixed possible issue when downloading Geocache Live lists.
- Fixed possible issue with track save portion page.
- Fixed possible issue on photo viewer when there are no photos.
- Fixed smart notifications after new pairing.
- Fixed possible issue with large Birdseye downloads.
- Fixed issue where ghost waypoints were appearing in Waypoint Manager.
- Fixed Chirp icon missing from the Geocache Dashboard.
- Improved CIQ app support.
- Improved photo viewer menu title to be consistent across platform.
- Improved download speeds or larger Birdseye Direct images.
- Moved activity type (once resided in Fitness) into recording setup.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

ivhs72 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:01 pm I called Garmin, there is a new 3.0 update, but it was only pushed out to about 20% of the people who have the 66s/66st. They said there are quite a few fixes/patches on it. Right now I'm still waiting for mine to boot past the Loading Waypoints, etc, screen.. :roll: ..what else is new? :(
I had the same issue with the boot didn't go any further than the loading waypoints screen. As I didn't found any solution for this, I though it was a hardware issue and sent it back and still using my reliable 64.

Eager to hear whether or not the problem is fixed at your end with the new update (when it's available for you). Are you using an SD card btw? Did you put the maps and GGZ on this card?
CheminerWill

searchjaunt wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:25 am I had the same issue with the boot didn't go any further than the loading waypoints screen. As I didn't found any solution for this, I though it was a hardware issue and sent it back and still using my reliable 64.
Eager to hear whether or not the problem is fixed at your end with the new update (when it's available for you). Are you using an SD card btw? Did you put the maps and GGZ on this card?
I have had what seems to be this issue a few times. I found out that by just waiting, it eventually boots. It has taken as long as 15 or 20 minutes at least a couple of times. In my case it seems to happen only the first time after loading files, and to be caused by having more than one large GGZ file on the 66 particularly if those two files have some overlapping caches. Seems that the indexing slows way down in these cases. I have gotten into the habit of only including one GGZ file at a time. This has eliminated to problem for me. I have had as many as 24,000 caches in that one file in varied geographical areas and it still boots quickly. I would imaging that what type of files being indexed would not matter, GPX, GGZ, POI, etc.? If the files are large and have overlap it may still occur.

I would experiment with your slow boot. Start the 66 up and then just set it out under the sky and wait. Check back 1/2 hour later and see if it is running.
searchjaunt

CheminerWill wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 4:49 pm [This has eliminated to problem for me. I have had as many as 24,000 caches in that one file in varied geographical areas and it still boots quickly. I would imaging that what type of files being indexed would not matter, GPX, GGZ, POI, etc.? If the files are large and have overlap it may still occur.

I would experiment with your slow boot. Start the 66 up and then just set it out under the sky and wait. Check back 1/2 hour later and see if it is running.
I had only one large GGZ (about 32000 caches) with no overlaps at all. It occurred to me that it simply hangs from the start, since the only way to shut it down is to remove batteries and even them some things vaguely showed on the screen. Hence I thought it was a HW failure and returned it.
But it eg the 3.00 update made any difference, I would give it another try and buy it again. So any news if the update would cure the problem, I would appreciate the feedback.
CheminerWill

searchjaunt wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:57 am It occurred to me that it simply hangs from the start, since the only way to shut it down is to remove batteries and even them some things vaguely showed on the screen.
Yes was the same for me until I discovered accidentally that if I waited a longer time, it would eventually boot up. And yes when you pull the batteries when it is on it takes a minute or two for the screen to fade out.
searchjaunt

CheminerWill wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 9:46 pm Yes was the same for me until I discovered accidentally that if I waited a longer time, it would eventually boot up. And yes when you pull the batteries when it is on it takes a minute or two for the screen to fade out.
Even it is not a HW failure, comparing it to my 64s, it's a downgrade and nothing one should expect from a new model.

So I'm still wondering if a 3.00 update will fix it.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I've had the hanging on loading waypoints, etc. problem since I purchased my 66s when it first came out. I disabled the GGZ file so it's not loading at all. I do load about 80 pocket queries and that seems to be part of the problem. It seems to take forever to load (hours), and seems to lock up. Every so often it does update, but when I look for the caches, there is no information on them. There are also times when it goes right past the loading waypoints, etc. screens and doesn't update pocket queries at all. I haven't tried it too much with the 3.0 upgrade yet but will later today.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Which forum did you find this on?

CheminerWill wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:17 am From another forum:

Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.00:

- Added support for G3 Marine Cartography.
- Added TracBack to active track map review menu.
- Fixed possible issue with ascent / descent stats during Expedition Mode.
- Fixed possible issue on system resets.
- Fixed possible issue when routing to photos.
- Fixed possible issue when stopping navigation.
- Fixed possible issue when downloading Geocache Live lists.
- Fixed possible issue with track save portion page.
- Fixed possible issue on photo viewer when there are no photos.
- Fixed smart notifications after new pairing.
- Fixed possible issue with large Birdseye downloads.
- Fixed issue where ghost waypoints were appearing in Waypoint Manager.
- Fixed Chirp icon missing from the Geocache Dashboard.
- Improved CIQ app support.
- Improved photo viewer menu title to be consistent across platform.
- Improved download speeds or larger Birdseye Direct images.
- Moved activity type (once resided in Fitness) into recording setup.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”