Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
ivhs72

Re: Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:24 pm
ivhs72 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:39 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:37 pm

That was me. Based upon those tests I've ordered a new one from a different shop.
If that device fails too, I'm finally dumping the 66 and go maybe for a 64sx, which is out since a week (hoping that it's only a HW upgraded 64.
From what I've read, the 64sx is the 64s with preloaded TopoActive maps on it. The color of the unit has changed but from all the tech specs I've seen, it's the same internals.
The 64x internal are not the same as the previous generation GPSMAP 64 units.
I'll be getting a 64sx on Saturday, picking it up from my local REI. I'll be interested in how it compares the 64s that I have. I'm getting it mostly because of the TopoActive for the US and Australia, we're going down under next year sometime.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Fantastic! You're getting yours before I get mine... Do let us know what you think about it in the 64x forum!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Still having issues with starting my 66s. I deleted all pocket queries, and still takes hours to update waypoint, tracks, etc. :oops: :evil: :twisted: Not sure what to do next. Once I get them loaded, the unit works well, but getting it past this....... :roll: :?:
GPSrChive
Site Admin

You are not doing a boot process between deleting old PQs and loading new PQs, are you?
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:05 pm You are not doing a boot process between deleting old PQs and loading new PQs, are you?
Yes, I am. I delete the old ones, then boot so it can update, then load the new ones. I did that this morning (deleted the old ones), and it's been stuck on the loading waypoints screen since then I turned it back on, going on 5 hours.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

The status from my side. After returning my malfunctioning 66, I order a new one from another reseller in order to make sure that I won't get a device from the same lot.
Installed the latest firmware and chipset (no 2.7 available though), maps on a brand new class 10 SD and installed a 160Mb GGZ on internal memory.
I did this since Garmin BE replied on my problem - besides a lot of meaningless copy/paste stuff - that loading from internal memory will be faster since they'll only support SD cards with a max speed of 10 MB/s. Being an IT person, that is stating the obvious to me.
Anyway, starting up goes reasonable and within a couple of minutes (give or take 3 mins), I can navigate.
That looks rather good, but the issue starts when one wants to replace the GGZ. After replacing the GGZ, the startup seems to hang as with the other device and does this for at least 3-5 mins and then suddenly seems to start loading the waypoints with the same loading time as an initial load.
So at the end, one ends up with a loading time that take longer than a 64 with the GGZ on a class 4 SD card.
Apparently it has issues with cleaning up its internal database (or whatever it is) before loading new content.
An alternative would that one deletes first the GGZ and start up the device, but that'll probably takes more effort and at the end won't be faster.
Concluding thus with mixed feelings. It works, but a lot seems to be dependent on the device one gets, and is not as performant as a 64 and an old SD card. Personally, I don't find this acceptable for a new device - which pretend to be the top of that range - that doesn't seem to be able to perform better than an old device. I've sent my conclusions to Garmin BE too, but don't expect much from them.
If anyone of you can escalated this to a better support channel, I would appreciate this.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Is it necessary to have the GGZ folder active? Mine has the preloaded geocaches on it, but I don't really care to use them. All my other geocaches are in the \GPX folder, and are in standard .gpx format. I've been storing them on the main device, only using the SD card for my City Navigator and Topo maps. My microSD is currently a Sandisk 32gb EVO card. Not sure of it's specs but it seems to handle the maps with no problem.

I agree, for a flagship device, it sure has some issues. FWIW, I got the new 64sx over the weekend, and it's performing exactly like my 64s, in terms of loading caches, and booting consistently.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

It is common practice to simply remove the preload.ggz file as that geocache data is months and years out of date.... AND, it will interfere with your newer files with the same geocaches in them!

In fact, it is possible this is the core issue so many are having. When the GPSMAP 66 indexes your new PQ's etc. it must search the preload.ggz (and any other existing gpx/ggz files) for each geocache to determine if data already exists on the device for that geocache before adding (or not) to the SQL database. Repeat this tens of thousands of times.....

Remove everything, including the preload.ggz, reboot to clear, then add your PQ's etc. and see if your boot times improve!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:45 pm It is common practice to simply remove the preload.ggz file as that geocache data is months and years out of date.... AND, it will interfere with your newer files with the same geocaches in them!

In fact, it is possible this is the core issue so many are having. When the GPSMAP 66 indexes your new PQ's etc. it must search the preload.ggz (and any other existing gpx/ggz files) for each geocache to determine if data already exists on the device for that geocache before adding (or not) to the SQL database. Repeat this tens of thousands of times.....

Remove everything, including the preload.ggz, reboot to clear, then add your PQ's etc. and see if your boot times improve!
I'll give that a shot. I thought I'd removed them once before with no noticeable positive affect, but I'll try it again.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I deleted the GGZ folder, and the unit started correctly. :shock: When I restarted it, it recreated the GGZ folder but it was empty. I then copied all my pocket queries onto it, using the main memory, not the microSD card. 8-) When I restarted it, it booted the way I expected. :o It took about 10 minutes go get past the updating waypoints, etc. screen. :)
All the geocaches appear to be loaded. I've turned it off/on several times and it works correctly. :D Now to see if it keeps on working that way......

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”