Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ivhs72 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:58 pm I deleted the GGZ folder, and the unit started correctly. :shock: When I restarted it, it recreated the GGZ folder but it was empty. I then copied all my pocket queries onto it, using the main memory, not the microSD card. 8-) When I restarted it, it booted the way I expected. :o It took about 10 minutes go get past the updating waypoints, etc. screen. :)
All the geocaches appear to be loaded. I've turned it off/on several times and it works correctly. :D Now to see if it keeps on working that way......
Excellent news!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

I've booted it several times tonight, and it continues to work great. I have to wonder if the \GGZ preloaded caches were a part of the problem, given the number of PQs I was loading. I had only renamed the folder from GGZ to GG_, thinking it would not look in that folder. But this time I've deleted the whole folder and the unit recreated it, but it's totally empty. Anyone have any other thoughts?
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

ivhs72 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:58 pm I deleted the GGZ folder, and the unit started correctly. :shock: When I restarted it, it recreated the GGZ folder but it was empty. I then copied all my pocket queries onto it, using the main memory, not the microSD card. 8-) When I restarted it, it booted the way I expected. :o It took about 10 minutes go get past the updating waypoints, etc. screen. :)
All the geocaches appear to be loaded. I've turned it off/on several times and it works correctly. :D Now to see if it keeps on working that way......
You should give a try to put to overwrite the PQ with new ones WITHOUT deleting the old PQs and rebooting.
you'll probably will get gain the freezing phenomena. My assumption is that the housekeeping of the internal database doesn't work as it should or as my old 64 does.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

searchjaunt wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:22 am
ivhs72 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:58 pm
You should give a try to put to overwrite the PQ with new ones WITHOUT deleting the old PQs and rebooting.
you'll probably will get gain the freezing phenomena. My assumption is that the housekeeping of the internal database doesn't work as it should or as my old 64 does.
I didn't see this before I deleted my old PQs, and...you guessed it, the freezing is back...... :evil:

I'll go through the drill again, reset to factory, etc, etc, and when I get to the point I'm at now, I won't delete the old PQs, just over write them....... :roll: :(
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Now it's getting strange. :roll: I did the factory reset (page+enter, turn it on), and when it asked me if I wanted to erase, I couldn't select the erase button for about 30 seconds. Then I could. It started the reset process, and when it got to the loading waypoints, etc. screen, it took about 10 minutes for the progress bar to complete. When it finished booting, it asked me to select the language. I did and it took me to the map screen, and since I'm inside w/o satellite access, it centered on Garmin in Kansas. I zoomed in, and I could see the geocaches that I'd loaded. They were not removed by the reset procress. So as of now the unit is in the default out of the box settings, except it has all my PQs still on it...... :? It did not retain any of my wifi information or profile changes, but it did remember that I'd changed the background color from green to blue..... :o
searchjaunt

Being trying out things for a couple of days now and the behavior is constant: hanging for X minutes and suddenly the progress bar starts to move and after 3-4 minutes, everything is loaded.
I guess I'm going to keep this device, since it is clearly a SW problem. Hopefully Garmin will fix this since it isn't able to perform better than an old 64, which is a shame.

In the field, I found some other nuisances, but I open a separate thread for these.
searchjaunt

Got a final mail from Garmin saying that they've forwarded it to second line support, but:
- as such only GGZ/GPX from Basecamp are supported :roll:
- as long as there aren't a serious amount of complaint, chance that it'll be fixed soon (if any) is little :x
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

searchjaunt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm Got a final mail from Garmin saying that they've forwarded it to second line support, but:
- as such only GGZ/GPX from Basecamp are supported :roll:
- as long as there aren't a serious amount of complaint, chance that it'll be fixed soon (if any) is little :x
That's funny as BaseCamp does not support GGZ files!
searchjaunt

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:53 pm That's funny as BaseCamp does not support GGZ files!
I always get these type of answers from local support. The answers I got from them concerning the geocaching nuisances are beyond imagination.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

searchjaunt wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:32 pm Being trying out things for a couple of days now and the behavior is constant: hanging for X minutes and suddenly the progress bar starts to move and after 3-4 minutes, everything is loaded.
I guess I'm going to keep this device, since it is clearly a SW problem. Hopefully Garmin will fix this since it isn't able to perform better than an old 64, which is a shame.

In the field, I found some other nuisances, but I open a separate thread for these.
How many pocket queries are you loading, and how are you loading them? I have 85 that I update on regular basis, and I drag'n'drop them from the folder on my computer where I download them to the GPX folder on my 66s. I've had it take over night for them to finally update, and I've had it never update. There are times that I've had it update, and when I go to look at the caches, they're not there......

I've also just purchased a 64sx, and I find it's performance much better, just like the 64s that I have. I have to admit the software issues with the 66s leave me frustrated, since I've been using Garmins since the Oregon 300, and this has been my worst experience......

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”