Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
ivhs72

Re: Loading waypoints, etc. related to power source [Bug 53]

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:53 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm Got a final mail from Garmin saying that they've forwarded it to second line support, but:
- as such only GGZ/GPX from Basecamp are supported :roll:
- as long as there aren't a serious amount of complaint, chance that it'll be fixed soon (if any) is little :x
That's funny as BaseCamp does not support GGZ files!
If I understand this, you can only load from Basecamp???
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ivhs72 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:45 pm
searchjaunt wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:42 pm Got a final mail from Garmin saying that they've forwarded it to second line support, but:
- as such only GGZ/GPX from Basecamp are supported :roll:
- as long as there aren't a serious amount of complaint, chance that it'll be fixed soon (if any) is little :x
Not true in the least bit.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:47 am
ivhs72 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Not true in the least bit.
That's what I thought but the message from Garmin made it sound like that.
searchjaunt

Unread post by searchjaunt »

ivhs72 wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:49 am That's what I thought but the message from Garmin made it sound like that.
The message was literally (translated from Dutch):
"Remember that using external .gpx/.ggz files in combination with our devices is absolutely no guarantee, unlike BaseCamp for which we do provide support. Files you download from the Internet can and will cause certain problems. Devices are complicated and the least widget you add and not thoroughly tested can cause problems."
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

With the latest update to my PQs, I now have another question. I loaded my PQs by over writing the old ones, not deleting them but just copying over them. When I turned the unit on, it took it's usual over two hours, and no progress bar movement. I turned it off (by removing the batteries, since it was locked up). When I got home, I plugged it into an A/C outlet, and when I looked at it 15 minutes later, it had booted to the main page. All the data on the caches seem to be there. My question is does the device need satellite or wifi connectivity to update? That is the only difference between my work and home locations?
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

We'll, I'm throwing in the towel on the 66s. :( I've been using Garmin products for over 10 years, and this is the worst product roll out I've ever encountered. :evil: This GPSr has the most promise I've seen in quite awhile, and I purchased it when it became available back in November. Since then I've had nothing but problems.

The straw that broke the camels back involves updating my geocache pocket queries. The last two times I've loaded them, I plug the device into wall power, and it starts. It goes through the boot up process, and apparently updates all my waypoints, etc, and I can see them on the map. But when I go to look at a cache, there is nothing there, the page is blank. It also locks up the device. It's happened the last three times I've I done my updates. The only way to resolve it is to remove all the stored pocket queries, and do the process all over again. Sometimes it takes, sometimes it doesn't. But it takes minimum of 4-5 hours to do the update.

I've spent the last 8 months trying everything, and nothing has resolved this. It is unreliable hardware, and the software has some issues as well, especially with the geocaching app/profile. I'll stick with my 64s and 64sx for now, and hope that somewhere down the road this issue will be resolved. But I'm not holding my breath.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

ivhs72 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:56 pm With the latest update to my PQs, I now have another question. I loaded my PQs by over writing the old ones, not deleting them but just copying over them. When I turned the unit on, it took it's usual over two hours, and no progress bar movement. I turned it off (by removing the batteries, since it was locked up). When I got home, I plugged it into an A/C outlet, and when I looked at it 15 minutes later, it had booted to the main page. All the data on the caches seem to be there. My question is does the device need satellite or wifi connectivity to update? That is the only difference between my work and home locations?
To index GPX PQ's you have manually loaded to the device, no. In fact, most data I can think of that you manually load to the device should be indexed/updated at the next power cycle regardless of GPS signal or internet connectivity.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Nothing has improved with this over the past few months. On Tuesday I loaded my usual pocket queries, and when I restarted it, it went past the updating waypoints, etc. screen at once. No information in any of the caches however. I turned it off, plugged it into the A/C power, it powered on and I let it set. That was at 8:15am. It stopped at the loading waypoint screen with the progress bar at the bottom. At 4:10pm, after sitting there all day, the progress bar finally started going green. It took almost 45 minutes to do that, then it booted normally. And all the information for the caches were there. I was hoping that something might have changed in the last couple of months, but apparently not. I've contacted Garmin a couple of times, and was told I would be getting an email follow up but that never happened.
fulbrich

Unread post by fulbrich »

I experience these behaviour of freezes GPSmap 66s with Software Version 3.40.
It is nearly inpossible to work with manually copied ggz and gpx files.
-- Greetings from Germany --
fulbrich

Unread post by fulbrich »

Hi , I would like to mention, that I experience these freeze problems when changing ggz or gpx files with software version 3.40 , too. I had contact to the german Garmin support for this and other bugs.
-- Greetings from Germany --

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”