Recored GPS gap on three devices

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
gps66s

Recored GPS gap on three devices

Unread post by gps66s »

GPS Gap recorded on three devices. While hiking with clear view of sky my InReach Mini, GPS66S and Iphone Earthmate App all recorded a 16 minute gap, straight line.
None of the devices where following a track or route but just were recording my trip. The InReach Mini was tracking at one minute and ten minute sending.
I sent a report to the USCG Navigation Center and received the following reply. “Thank you for contacting the USCG Navigation Center. It appears that you might be reporting a Mapping Data error. Mapping Data errors are typically where your GPS equipment will take you to the wrong location or by an incorrect route, not locate addresses, not show roads, show your address as being somewhere else on your street, and other types of errors like these. These mapping errors should be reported directly to the mapping software provider and to the GPS receiver manufacturer so they can be corrected in future versions of the maps. Most manufacturers have a website set up for data input.”
I don’t understand how this is a mapping error any ideas?
InReach Mini GPS Gap.JPG
GPSMAP66 recorded.JPG
Eartmate.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Recored GPS gap on three devices

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Please provide GPX tracklog from GPSMAP 66, and any other tracklogs you have for this trip.
Spoiler
gps66s

Unread post by gps66s »

Section of track log with gap shown in red.docx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We would like to see the entire GPX file so we can inspect for related anomalies.

Normally we would suspect, like others have mentioned, that perhaps the unit was stuck in 'Auto Pause' mode for that portion of the trip, however, since multiple devices appear to have had the same issue, we might conclude some interference with GPS satellite signals occurred during this time period.

The more data you can share from each device, the better chance we can determine what happened and why.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”