Unable to remove Geocaching Lists from GPSMAP 66s

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Pyskick

Unable to remove Geocaching Lists from GPSMAP 66s

Unread post by Pyskick »

Hi

I'm hoping someone can solve this problem I'm having. I can't delete Geocaching Lists from my GPSMAP 66s. They no longer appear in my geocaching account but they are stubbornly remaining on my 66s! I even resorted to a factory reset of the 66s but to no avail. If it's any help the lists don't sync either. They try but always lock up at 48%. Hopefully the link below will show a screenshot of the lists I'm referring to.

Thanks in advance

1651.jpg

Moderator Note: Please Do Not Hot Link Images - Upload Them Here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Unable to remove Geocaching Lists from GPSMAP 66s

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Connect your GPSMAP 66s to your computer and enter USB Mass Storage Mode, the navigate to the \Garmin\ directory, find the 'SQL' folder and rename it '_SQL'.

After restarting the GPSMAP 66, all of your GCLive data will be removed, and you will have to reload as desired.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

BTW, Have you used the 'Remove Live Data' function in Geocache Setup yet? (you didn't mention it)
Pyskick

Unread post by Pyskick »

I’ve found the ‘SQL’ folder but I see there’s already a folder in the directory called ‘_SQL’. When I try re-making the SQL folder I get a warning saying there’s already a folder called ‘_SQL’ and asking if I want to merge the two folders. Is that what I need to do?

TIA

P.S. yup, I’ve used the remove live data function and that gets rid of the actual list of individual caches but the actual list of ‘Lists’ is still there
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Interesting, wonder how that one got there!?

The name doesn't really matter, you can just use a numbered suffix if you like, such as 'SQL03' etc.

This just forces the device to reindex and reload user data, and removes all GCLive data in the process.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Have you checked the GGZ folder if they are there?

I know some GPS units come preloaded with geocaches.
Pyskick

Unread post by Pyskick »

Hi

I’ve tried what you said and three of the lists have disappeared but two are still there. I’ve tried syncing these just to see what happens but they get to 48% and no further.
Pyskick

Unread post by Pyskick »

Hi aspirin

There’s nothing in the GGZ folder
Pyskick

Unread post by Pyskick »

I’ve just noticed that renaming the SQL folder doesn’t actually seem to rename the folder but instead it creates a new folder with the new SQL name. Hence at the moment I now have three SQL folders called ‘SQL’, ‘_SQL’ and ‘SQL03’. I’m worried that I’m going to really mess up my 66s at this rate. Not sure where I’m going wrong 😐
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The device only uses the 'SQL' folder and ignores the others. They serve as temporary backups and can be deleted at any time.

Try unregistering the device with Geocaching, reboot, then re register with Geocaching.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”