Firmware 10.30 Information?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Art

Re: Firmware 10.30 Information?

Unread post by Art »

lol :D

Well I don’t know a way to get a firmware image out of a unit otherwise I’d load it up.
The other day Basecamp said my 10.20 unit needed an update, but the web updater still only offered 10.20 or lower.
Art

Unread post by Art »

It wants to give me 9.60 still. Wow!
Hans

Unread post by Hans »

But I'm still wondering what is new on this firmware. I can't find any info anywhere.

But what I do know is that some of the known bugs I was aware of haven't been solved by this firmware. I have this gps about one week now and have used it for a few walks to test it. I will devote a separate post to my findings in another week.

What troubles me is the altitude system that reports impossibly high total ascents no matter what settings I use and the battery indicator which is virtually useless. It jumps from full to near empty in 1 or 2 hours and the next morning I get 4 bars again. And during my last walk I lost part of the track I had already completed on the gps screen (the red line that represents the current progress). Luckily by transferring it to MapSource it reappeared.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Art wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:28 am lol :D

Well I don’t know a way to get a firmware image out of a unit otherwise I’d load it up.
The other day Basecamp said my 10.20 unit needed an update, but the web updater still only offered 10.20 or lower.
I might hesitate to allow anything other than Garmin Express to update your GPSr. I have seen some recent 'reports' of other software titles, such as BaseCamp and WebUpdater creating irreversible harm. Nothing that I can confirm or verify, just 'reports'.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Hans wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm But I'm still wondering what is new on this firmware. I can't find any info anywhere.
Unless version 10.30 is published for everyone to download, there never will be a public change log. For now, it appears to be a running production change for factory installation only. However, the change log for the next firmware published will likely include the 10.30 changes.

Hans wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm But what I do know is that some of the known bugs I was aware of haven't been solved by this firmware. I have this gps about one week now and have used it for a few walks to test it. I will devote a separate post to my findings in another week.
If you find any of the known bugs corrected, please do report that information! Of course, nobody will be able to verify until after the next firmware update is released publicly.

Hans wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm What troubles me is the altitude system that reports impossibly high total ascents no matter what settings I use and the battery indicator which is virtually useless. It jumps from full to near empty in 1 or 2 hours and the next morning I get 4 bars again.
I believe the total ascent is a known issue.

What batteries are installed, and what batteries have you selected in Setup > System > Battery Type?

Do you have the backlight turned up all the way when this occurs?

Hans wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 pm And during my last walk I lost part of the track I had already completed on the gps screen (the red line that represents the current progress). Luckily by transferring it to MapSource it reappeared.
So no data was lost, just the GPSr was not displaying all of it after an overnight power cycle?

What are your settings in Setup > Recording and Setup > Recording > Advanced Setup?

Do you have Auto Save configured for Daily? or Auto?
Hans

Unread post by Hans »

My Auto Save is daily, but I wouldn't worry too much about the lost current track on my display. It has only happened once so far and indeed no data got lost.
Since I have a NiMH battery pack there is no indication of Battery Type under System. Right now there are 2 bars, while yesterday there was only one bar. I will try with two AA batteries to see whether things improve. Are there also Lithium batteries available for GPSMAP 66s? I could not find any on internet.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Auto Save Daily is why the previous section of track recording from the day before dropped off the map display. It was saved into your archived tracks. You can re-enable it there by making it a favorite then setting it to show on Map.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Setup > Recording, GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Recording Controls and GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Saved Tracks for details.

There are Lithium battery options available in the GPSrChive Store and GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Accessories.

You can see how well multiple battery types and brands performed at GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Operation > Power Sources > Battery Test.
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

@Hans;
Are there also Lithium batteries available for GPSMAP 66s? I could not find any on internet.
All I did was type in Google search:

"AA lithium batteries rechargeable in the European union"
You can do the same the US or UK

Example:

Code: Select all

https://www.bol.com/be/nl/p/varta-ultra-lithium-aa-batterijen-4-stuks/9000000012457547/?Referrer=ADVNLGOO002020-G-135735300942-S-1680692018148-9000000012457547&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6sWi3qO0-gIVheF3Ch1emg0MEAQYBSABEgLO0PD_BwE

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”