GPSMAP 66st Crashes While Charging

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
oldcrashtestdummy

GPSMAP 66st Crashes While Charging

Unread post by oldcrashtestdummy »

Some of this was mentioned in the External power lost - shutdown or stay on choice Thread

I have a 3 week old 66st with Garmin rechargeable NiMh batteries in it. I have plugged it into my truck using a RAVPower 24 USB converter. It starts recording when I plug it, continues to record, and then at some point it crashes and turns itself off. I have to remove the battery pack (not easy) and reinstall it to get the unit back on. The battery indicator is always at 1 bar when I turn it back on.

I have checked my charger and it puts out 5.1 volts and from .5 to .7 amps. The 12 volt outlet in my truck stays on for at least 1 hour after I stop the vehicle, remove the key, and leave it.

On Saturday the unit was plugged in for over 5 hours, and was also taken for a 2 mile walk. Over an hour after the walk, while plugged in and vehicle moving, the unit crashed.This morning it was plugged in for 1.5 hours and worked all the way home, but was crashed when I tried to turn it on. I also have Backlight Timeout set to Stays On, Battery Save set to On (does this matter with Stays On?). Record Method is set to Auto, Interval set to Most, Auto Pause set to Off, and Auto Start set to On.

So, any suggestions?

A couple of other details, Software and Firmware at 2.50. When the unit is attached to USB power in the truck, it is loose, resting on something. When GPSCity gets the RAM mount in, I will have a dedicated mount.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66st Crashes While Charging

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The only good news I have is that each time a Garmin GPSr crashes it saves an internal log that Garmin can use to help determine why it happened. So please do send them the information and a copy of your post here, as outlined in the Common Issues > Error Reporting page.

You can even view these error logs right on the GPSr in the Trip Computer page, but they are all in code, so they won't mean much to anyone other than those who can decipher it!

They are such a simple device, one would think there couldn't be very many variables, but there are, and duplicating yours may be nearly impossible for any of us. Hopefully the logs on your GPSr will help point the Garmin Software Engineers in the right direction! And, as the GPSMAP 66 is a very new unit still, I can assure you they are still working on refinements and features.
oldcrashtestdummy

Thanks, I will try to do that tomorrow. Everything but the iPad is shut down for the evening.
oldcrashtestdummy

On Sunday I got the bright idea to try powering the 66st by using the USB ports in my truck. These ports are also connected to my Sync 3 Infotainment Center and the Garmin went into USB data mode.I unplugged it and removed the batteries. Five minutes later (with batteries still removed) the unit finally got rid of the USB display. So don’t try this.

On a plus note, the unit never crashed for the rest of the day while plugged into the USB charger in the truck.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

oldcrashtestdummy wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:32 pmFive minutes later (with batteries still removed) the unit finally got rid of the USB display. So don’t try this.
Yeah that is an odd behavior. I have had a few crashes like that with the faded USB connection image on the screen in the previous firmware. I have done as you and removed the batteries and yes it still takes a while without batteries installed for the unit to clear and reset. Once it was at least 5 or 10 minutes.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”