GPSMAP 66 Firmware 2.50

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

GPSMAP 66 Firmware 2.50

Unread post by GPSrChive »

As of 01FEB19:

GPSMAP 66 Firmware 2.50 has finally arrived!

More information available on the Firmware page!

Get it there for manual install, or get it via Garmin Express or OTA if your GPSMAP 66 has an active internet connection.

Please report any observations related to Firmware 2.50 in this thread.

Thank You, and Enjoy!
oldkingog

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 2.50

Unread post by oldkingog »

It's great to finally have an update! I went for a walk this evening on relatively flat ground. The total elevation ascent and descent are still way off. My 66s reported values of 410 and 433 feet while my Vivoactive 3 posted values of 72 and 75 feet. I was hoping this would be fixed. Max and min elevations were 8484 and 8454 feet over 1.5 miles.
Art

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 2.50 [Crash 4]

Unread post by Art »

I might as well just say the same as on the Geocaching forum...

The problem exiting the Recording Controls menu, back to the map screen appears to be fixed.
That used to make the unit turn off for me every time.

It still crashes browsing the map at low zoom levels. Anything from 8km to 20km inclusive if Birdseye imagery is enabled.
Birdseye imagery is not displayed when you zoom out further than 20km printed on the scale.
Where the ordinary Garmin Topo map could crash it before, it appears to only happen for Birdseye imagery now.
I think it would be fixed for now if they simply disabled Birdseye imagery for any view above the 5km zoom level.
At least until the underlying issue is fixed, but it would be better to disable it for those levels than have it turn off.

This is the downloaded highest quality sat imagery. For HEMA raster map product which is also jnx files for Australia,
that is displayed up to 12km zoom level, and doesn’t seem to crash it at all.
Maybe it’s just that it’s the high quality imagery that it can’t handle. The same imagery is used with my 64st and never has a problem, so I’m only comparing to that.

I didn’t get to test much else such as the address search that is said to be fixed.
oldkingog

Re: GPSMAP 66 Firmware 2.50

Unread post by oldkingog »

Still crashes for me when selecting symbol from Manage Waypoint screen and then trying to delete all of the waypoints with that that symbol.

>>> Posted as Crash #4, Thank You! <<<

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”