Issues with GPSMAP 66s

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Mikkyp20

Issues with GPSMAP 66s

Unread post by Mikkyp20 »

I have been using a GPSMAP 66s for about 1 month now for Geocaching. During that time I have had it freeze regularly 3-4 time a day, and it turns itself off just as often.
The software version is 2.10 and the GPS software version is 2.50. Geocaches are loaded using GSAK in GGZ format on to a microsD card.

Anyone else experiencing these issues.

I swapped my trusty 64s for the newer model, but am having second thoughts now.
wwerner

Re: Issues with GPSMAP 66s

Unread post by wwerner »

Did you change the profiles menu?
Are you using Expedition mode?
Regards Werner
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

Yes I have had similar experiences. I posted a topic about it but it needs to be approved by a moderator before you will see the details. But yes this is something that myself and others have had happen. Fortunately so far it always powers right back on.

In my case, to answer Werner's questions: I have only used one profile but I can't remember if I changed it when new to the hiking profile or if I am still on the default. I think I have BaseCamp set to hiking. And, I have never used Expedition mode.
Mikkyp20

In answer to Wwerner

Did you change the profiles menu?
The profile I am using is for geocaching / not changed. Changing profiles creates more problems in my experience with the gpsmap 64s, so I don't change it very often now.

Are you using Expedition mode?
Expedition mode has been disabled.
Mikkyp20

In the last few days I have been having problems calibrating the compass. The first 2 stages work fine then the 3rd stage fails, repeatedly. Sometimes calibration is sucessful if I move location about 20m, but not all of the time. This was never an issue with the 64s.

Anyone else have this issue?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Originally, I couldn't get my 66 to complete the third step either. I think they are going to do some tweaking on this along with a great host of other fixes in the upcoming firmware release.
CheminerWill

Unread post by CheminerWill »

FWIW - I have calibrated my compass a few times and all 3 stages worked. Was a little surprised the first time coming from the 60CSx which only has me do the stage one turning.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The 60 series does not have a 3D compass!
Art

Unread post by Art »

I just tried for the first time, and didn’t have any trouble with compass calibration.

Many other issues, yes! It’s a shame those who showed faith,
and purchased early are watching their warranty expire while the device is barely fit for purpose from the get go.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Art wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:01 am I just tried for the first time, and didn’t have any trouble with compass calibration.

Many other issues, yes! It’s a shame those who showed faith,
and purchased early are watching their warranty expire while the device is barely fit for purpose from the get go.
How long is the warranty down under? Last time I checked, we get a full year here, and the unit has only been out for a couple months, so most of that year warranty is still in affect.

New firmware is only a few days away, and I suspect most of the known issues will be resolved.

This is SOP for Garmin, and anyone who has been a Garmin user for any length of time knows and expects their units to be buggy when first released. At least we can take solace in knowing that most of the issues will be resolved and new features will be added during the next 24-36 months. Far better outlook than anyone using any other brand handheld navigator. I know, I have many of those also. And they are all stuck with the same bugs and issues they originally came with.

I'll take the Garmin any day.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”