GPSMAP 66 Screen rotation

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
veritas2572

GPSMAP 66 Screen rotation

Unread post by veritas2572 »

Since my oregon 700 screen is damaged, I sold this one and purchased GPSMAP 66s.

I am planning to use mine on motorcycle with existing horizontal oregon mount, so I need to know if there is a screen rotation feature.

If there's no screen rotation feature, is there a custom software to rotate my screen?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66 Screen rotation

Unread post by GPSrChive »

None of the Garmin outdoor recreation 'pushbutton' GPSr have a screen rotation feature, only the touchscreen variants.
paulxtr

Unread post by paulxtr »

gpsrchive wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:24 am None of the Garmin outdoor recreation 'pushbutton' GPSr have a screen rotation feature, only the touchscreen variants.
Not quite.

When viewing photo's on the GPSmap 62s if the unit is held in landscape orientation then the image rotates to fit the screen. I was surprised to find that this functionality is missing from the GPSMAP 66s.

Maybe they didn't bother fitting an accelerometer as a cost reduction measure.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Well, learn something new every day!

It never occurred to me to even try that with the older GPSMAP devices as they have no user configurable option for landscape orientation operation!

I have added this to the missing features section in the Common Issues pages for the GPSMAP 66s/st/sr/i.
veritas2572

Garmin really need to add screen rotation features for all devices, including GPSMAP series. Many people use their Garmin handheld devices for motorcycle or automobile, and some of them requires horizontal screen for better view.

This isn't a big deal. I assume that it isn't that difficult to just add screen rotation feature since garmin guys already implemented this feature for almost all touchscreen devices. It would be better with accelometer, but not required.

If garmin oregon 6X0 / 7X0 series can be benefited from rotating the display, GPSMAP 66 would be the same. Its big and wide screen is enough to take advantage of horizontal display.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. There is no recent affordable devices that can be used horizontally. Montana is too bulky and expensive, and Oregon is a little bit too old and requires annual subscription for birdseye. GPSMAP is best but there's no touchscreen and screen rotation. Can't wait for oregon 8x0 or something. Can you put this post's content as a feature request?
Last edited by veritas2572 on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
veritas2572

paulxtr wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:57 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:24 am None of the Garmin outdoor recreation 'pushbutton' GPSr have a screen rotation feature, only the touchscreen variants.
Not quite.

When viewing photo's on the GPSmap 62s if the unit is held in landscape orientation then the image rotates to fit the screen. I was surprised to find that this functionality is missing from the GPSMAP 66s.

Maybe they didn't bother fitting an accelerometer as a cost reduction measure.
You can check them easily via installing any connect IQ datafield or app which utilizes accelerometer. there are plenty of these apps on garmin app store, just install these and check whether GPSMAP 66 shows correct data or not.

If GPSMAP 66 is fitted with accelerometer sensor, there is a possibility that garmin might add this feature upon their new update.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

veritas2572 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:26 pm If GPSMAP 66 is fitted with accelerometer sensor, there is a possibility that garmin might add this feature upon their new update.
While this may seem a simple task on the surface, it actually requires creating a completely new second UI for the device, for every single screen, page, and data field, as none are rendered the same in landscape orientation. And since no previous generation of these models has included this feature, I find it highly unlikely to be included any time soon, on current or future models.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”