The compass does not work while moving. [Bug 122]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Александр

Re: The compass does not work while moving. [Bug 122]

Unread post by Александр »

Perhaps this is so, but there is a compass, and it should work anyway. Otherwise, everything related to the compass in this device - navigation, to detect the direction, is useless. Disabling the compass at a speed of about 4 km / h, which is not much even for a pedestrian, it turns out to be just a toy.
original
Возможно всё так, но компас есть, и он должен работать в любом случае. Иначе всё, что связано с компасом в этом приборе - навигация, засечь направление, бесполезно. Отключение компаса при скорости около 4 км/ч, что даже для пешехода не много, это получается просто игрушка.
Александр

Firmware v7.60
The problem has not been fixed.
original
Прошивка v7.60
Проблема не исправлена.
dmitch2916

Unread post by dmitch2916 »

I Updated to version 7.60. Compass still doesn't work when navigating.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
I understand that how people use the compass may vary a bit, but would like to share my observations.

In the beginning while testing the GPSMAP 66st on flat paved area i was also disappointed to see that the magnetic compass would stop at about 4 km/h in favour for GPS based compass. On flat asphalt one can easily walk 5-7 km/h, so the 4 km/h is in fact a low barrier.

Now however i have been out hiking in the mountains and forests and tested the compass quite a bit to take directions in a similar way as an old fashion magnetic compass.
Since the ground is not flat and may have many smaller hurdles, walking speed is much lower, 2-5 km/h and walking usually is happening in a zig-zag pattern.
While walking so the magnetic compass becomes very unstable and jumpy and one cannot really use it as a traditional compass to follow the direction shown. In this case it is much better to let the unit use the GPS direction to set the compass, it makes the compass rose much more stable and much more user friendly (i tested to set compass to both off and auto).
When the unit uses the GPS instead of the magnetic compass to show direction, one can wan walk and get the direction instead of first stopping and making sure that the compass calms down to properly show where i should be going.
Александр

And hello to you.
Thank you for sharing your observations and experiences. I understand what you are writing about, I tried everything you described, the same I was looking for ways to get around this problem. But since we have a discussion, I will share my thoughts on this matter.
In ancient times, they used star navigation, devices for such navigation were created, and people considered this method to be the best. Later they came up with a compass and people were also sure that there was no alternative to such navigation. Now is the 21st century, we have a wonderful company Garmin and this company has created "Premium Navigator 66 st, etc." selling them for not little money all over the world. And in this navigator functions are declared that should work, but ... do not work. This is at least not fair to people who spent their money on this much-touted "Super" premium navigator. Several years have passed since the release of this navigator, and it still contains a lot of errors, including critical ones. Of course, if you wish, you can explain everything and adapt to any situation. But my opinion has not changed. If features are declared, they should work anyway. Of course this is just my opinion. Nevertheless, thank you for your participation. Let's hope that the mistakes will be corrected.
original

И Вам привет.
Благодарен Вам за то, что делитесь своими наблюдениями и опытом. Понимаю о чём Вы пишите, пробовал всё Вами описанное, то же искал пути обхода этой проблемы. Но раз уж у нас возникла дискуссия, поделюсь и своими мыслями на этот счёт.
В древние времена использовали навигацию по звёздам, создавались приборы для такой навигации и люди считали этот способ лучшим. Позже придумали компас и люди так же были уверены, что альтернативы подобной навигации нет. Сейчас 21 век, у нас есть замечательная компания Garmin и эта компания создала "Премиум навигатор 66 st, и др." продавая их за не маленькие деньги по всему миру. И в этом навигаторе заявлены функции которые должны работать, но... не работают. Это как минимум не честно по отношению к людям потратившим свои деньги на этот разрекламированный "Супер" навигатор премиум класса. С момента выхода этого навигатора прошло уже несколько лет, а в нем до сих пор масса ошибок в том числе критических. Конечно при желании можно всё объяснить и подстроиться под любую ситуацию. Но моё мнение не изменилось. Если функции заявлены, они должны работать в любом случае. Конечно это только моё мнение. Тем не менее спасибо Вам за участие. Будем надеяться, что ошибки всё таки исправят.

Unread post by 987 »

Indeed you are correct, technology should help people.
Even though i did not bother so much with the magnetic compass, I agree that the magnetic compass could and should be implemented in a way making it more useful.

:D
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Request for user configurable speed setting for when the compass switches from magnetic to GPS operation has been added to multiple wiki common issues pages and sent to Garmin.

Ball is in their court....
dmitch2916

I use my unit while fishing to navigate to waypoints I have saved over the years. I have previously owned the Garmin 60CSX and the 62ST which both worked flawlessly in my fishing adventures. To use the unit I select my waypoint, hit "GO" and then page to the compass and follow the arrow. It doesn't make sense to me that I need to stop my boat every few feet to get a new bearing before continuing on. What is a pilot suppose to do, stop his airplane in mid-flight? I am traveling to Canada on my annual fishing trip which in need the GPS to guide me to where I need to go.There is no cell service where I go and if I get lost I'm screwed. Last years trip was a bust because of this issue. I hope your engineers can fix this problem soon. I have been a loyal Garmin customer for over ten years but I'm starting to losing confidence in your company.
Александр

Garmin's response to the application:

"Garmin reviewed this observation and concluded that this behavior is normal.
This has been extensively tested in a multi-device company and determined to be on purpose. In this case, the buyer moves straight. If the client is moving in a straight line, the compass will actually lock in that position while driving. If the customer turns while driving, the compass will move with him. There are several videos about this, and we tested a few 66, and they all seem to freeze while driving (as intended) until a turn is made. "

Such nonsense. If this is done (as planned), what was the purpose of testing, checking, you yourself conceived it.

Here is a "brilliant" solution to the problem from GARMIN, I'm shocked. Well, I'll look for an alternative to GARMIN, I'll have to get rid of this miracle device.
original
Ответ Garmin на заявку :
"Garmin проверили данное замечание и пришли к выводу, что данное поведение прибора является нормальным.
Это было тщательно протестировано в компании с множеством устройств и было определено, что это сделано специально. В этом случае покупатель движется прямо. Если клиент движется по прямой линии, компас фактически зафиксируется в этом положении во время движения. Если покупатель поворачивается во время движения, компас будет двигаться вместе с ним. Об этом есть несколько видеороликов, и мы протестировали на нескольких 66, и все они кажутся зависшими при движении (по задумке), пока не будет сделан поворот. "

Такой бред. Если это сделано (по задумке), для чего было тестировать, проверять, вы же сами это задумали.
Вот такое "гениальное" решение проблемы от GARMIN, я в шоке. Что ж, буду искать альтернативу GARMIN, Придётся избавляться от этого чудо-прибора.
dmitch2916

I can't believe you can say this is normal. As I said earlier I use my GPS to go to waypoints for fishing. The compass does "NOT" move while in motion. I have to stop to get the compass to move. I I have owned two previous generations of the Garmin GPS and they worked fine. I guess my 66ST is "For Sale" and I'll go back to my 64ST.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”