PC will not mount 66st after TopoActive EU 2021.10 install

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Spiney

PC will not mount 66st after TopoActive EU 2021.10 install

Unread post by Spiney »

I have just used Garmin Express to install the latst TopoActive EU 2021.10 map. The installation was completed normally and Express confirmed that I had the latest update. I ejected the device, then booted it up - the TopoActive maps were both installed okay and render normally on the screen. However when I plug the 66st into my Win 10 PC, the device is not mounted. I get an empty G: folder.

Garmin have flagged that there is an issue with this Garmin Express map update: "There is an issue that has been identified with the TopoActive EU 2021.10 map update. Garmin Express is giving an error that there is insufficient space for the map. This issue seems to have began yesterday, April 28th. We have escalated the issue to our Garmin Express engineers and they are working on resolving the issue as soon as possible." SO DO NOT INSTALL IT !

Meanwhile I have tried to fi this - I have installed latest USB drivers and tried the Forced USB Mass Storage Mode steps several times without success. I have tried two Garmin cables ad different USB ports. Is a Master Reset the next thing to try?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: PC will not mount 66st after TopoActive EU 2021.10 install

Unread post by GPSrChive »

That's a bummer - Sounds like perhaps the internal device formatting was corrupted during the map installation - and a Hard Reset likely will not resolve it. May have to wait for Garmin to advise you on what to do next....

Please keep us informed!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

It appears the GPSMAP 66 is not the only device exhibiting issues with this map update....
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

What I found out is that the gmapprom1.img is so messed up it will not load.
Every time after a complete update and restarted the GPS it only see D6185100A.img

What also I notice is when you turn on GE it tells you that you have an update again.
I tried this 2 times yesterday and sill the gmapprom1.img was bad.

So I deleted all of TopoActive EU 2021.10 and put back my Openstreet map back on.
I am in no rush to update will wait till they fix this problem be it GE or the maps themselves.

No problems with connection to my Laptop and GE seeing any of my GPS units.
That still works. GE version 7.5.0.0

PS:
The updates to my Car GPS units went with out any problems with NTU 2021.30 EU.
Not trying to drift off topic just to point out that TopoActive EU 2021.10 has the problems.

Unread post by 987 »

Hi.
Two days ago (or if it was yesterday) i took the topoactive europe 2021.10 update on the GPSMAP 66st.
It worked fine and is working just fine.
Today i get a new message in Garmin express to update the maps to the same version TopoActive Europe 2021.10. File size 8.88 GB.

Did anyone experience this second update?
if yes, Is it safe or is it this update that is reported to be broken?
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

Yes I get the same message.
Tried it and after the second update and restart the GPS the gmapprom1.img does not work.
Again today GE shows the same update that "987" points out.
Trying this 2 times yesterday was enough for me. Like I post the Etrex 22x does the same thing.

I just gave up and will wait till next week I am in no rush have other maps that work with no problems at all.

This is not the first time this has happened.
It also happened to me with TopoActive Europe v2020.20 Update Issues
Spiney

Unread post by Spiney »

I was using the immediately previous version of Garmin Express to install the map update as Garmin issued GE 7.5.0.0 yesterday, and I updated it after the TopoActive map had finished installing.

Here is an update following some further testing.

As the 66st device itself boots up normally and displays the updated TopoActive map, I tried it in a different Win 10 computer. The first PC is running BC 4.7.3, the second PC is still on the last stable version 4.6.2. The good news is that the device and its mSD card were visible to the second PC and File Manager as usual. Both device and card had the custom icons displayed in File Manager as I would expect.

On opening BC, I got this click through error message which I have never seen before (my 66st is running the latest firmware 7.20):

IMG_6092.jpg

Both EU TopoActive maps were read into BC and displayed normally. All mapping on the mSD card was accessible and I could see all saved tracks on the device etc as normal and send GPX files in both directions. I could not detect any "reduced functionality" as stated in the error message. Interestingly the device and mSD card custom icons were not displayed in BC.

I ejected the device/card from BC and the PC, then tried again with the BC 4.6.2 computer but got the same error message.

After rebooting the original PC running 4.7.3, I tried connecting the device again and as before, this still would not mount.

I have just come back from a walk with my 66st and the device seems to be behaving completely normally as far as I can tell and the installation of the updated TopoActive mapping is okay. Using the second PC, I could access my new GPX track and send it to a BC List. I tried again with the rebooted first PC machine but found no different behaviour.

The second PC does not currently have Garmin Express installed, but I am wondering if I should install it and try it? I am also going to look at the Windows device troubleshooter on the first PC.

Any ideas what could be going on here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Oh, interesting. You have hit the same problem as me. I am now pretty sure, that this is related to 'TopoActive 2021.10 North East' part, which seems to be the cause for those message about communication problems with GPSr. Happens same on my Montana.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
Spiney

Unread post by Spiney »

Both the NE and SW EU TopoActive 2021.10 seem to have installed okay on my device yesterday - they are visible on the device and in BC.

I have been doing further testing. I opened a 'My PC' folder in Explorer on my original Win 10 PC and plugged the device/mSD in. The two drives were added: the card was quickly loaded and showed the free/available space bar as usual but the for the device drive, the green loading bar kept going and going and going ... I went off for a cup of tea and returned some 15 minutes later to happily find that both the device and the card had appeared in Explorer! In the second PC the time to load was much quicker and the same as normal for both. I later timed the device loading time into Explorer at about 8 minutes. I don't know why it is so slow - this has never happened before.

I then opened BaseCamp 4.7.3 and got exactly the same click-through error message as before. Both parts of the EU TopoActive 2021.10 map were loaded into BC and were visible as normal. I could exchange GPXs as usual between BC and the device i.e. the original PC is now behaving like the second one.

I then opened Garmin Express 7.5.0.0 which synched with the device okay and I also get the same message as you to update the maps to version TopoActive Europe 2021.10 even though that version is the one currently installed.

I too am wondering whether to risk re-installing it or simply delete the two maps as I don't need them right now.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

See this post for the cause.
Basically, 'TopoActive 2021.10 North East' is faulty and causes communication problems with BaseCamp.
Currently, reinstall will not help, as Garmin must fix this.

Please report that to Garmin!
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”