GeocachePhotos not selectable [Bug 120]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
24raus

GeocachePhotos not selectable [Bug 120]

Unread post by 24raus »

Release note of 7.2 mentions:
Fixed some issues with geocache photos.
I noticed that there is a menu for "View Photos" in the cache description. It was not there when I checked last time with firmware 2.3. :)
It then also shows the thumbnails of the photos, but I can neither change the selection nor enlarge a photo.
Does anyone know if this requires a special format. I currently have jpg files in the GeocachePhotos directory structure.

spoiler.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GeocachePhotos not selectable [Bug 120]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Using the D-PAD should let you select the desired thumbnail, and pressing (Enter) should display the selected image full screen.

Your GPSMAP 66 is not allowing this?
24raus

Unread post by 24raus »

I played some more and found the cause.
It works if the Garmin\Photos directory contains at least one picture. If the directory is empty, then the Garmin\GeocachePhotos are displayed in the description but can not be selected or displayed.

So, the solution is just to put a picture in the Photos directory and it works for me :)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

There is no /Garmin/Photos/ directory, unless you created it!

I want to be certain if you may have stumbled across a bug, so please remove (Delete) the /Garmin/Photos/ directory as it is not part of the original device file structure, and retest for us.
24raus

Unread post by 24raus »

I don't know where my Garmin/Photos directory is coming from. Maybe I have created it last time I tried to put the cache spoiler photos to the device.
I deleted Garmin/Photos folder and the Geocaching Photos stopped working.
I created it again, copied a picture and the geocaching photos worked again.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I sure would like to find out why your geocache photos do not work when there is no /Garmin/Photos/ directory on your device.

You may just need to remove the rogue directory again and perform a master reset of the device, then retest.

There may be other features that are not working properly that are not so evident yet.
24raus

Unread post by 24raus »

I removed Garmin\Photos, did a master reset, but result is the same. Without \Garmin\Photos and picture in it, it doesn't work. With \Garmin\Photos and picture I can change selection with D-Pad and open Photo with enter.
But, that's ok for me.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Other than the images in the /Garmin/GeocachePhotos/ directory and your self made /Garmin/Photos/ directory, are there any other JPEG images in any other directory on the GPSr or microSD card?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I have performed a test where I removed all JPEG images from the device and microSD card except those found in the /Garmin/GeocachePhotos/ directory, and have been able to duplicate the behavior you were experiencing.

Posted to GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues > Bug #120.

Garmin have been notified.

Thank You!
asprin624

Unread post by asprin624 »

I have done this a different way till this problem can be fixed.

Seeing I have a smartphone with me I just download all the spoiler photos to my phone.
Each area is in a different folder easy to get to.
So if I need to look at a spoiler photo I just open the smartphone to see it.
This keeps me on the map with the 66 that way I do not have to play around with looking for photos when I have all of them nice and neat on my phone.
This might not be everyone's slice of pie but is a very easy way to do Geocaching in the field.

This does come in very handy when doing 50/60 geocaches or more.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”