GPSMAP 66s won't sync my Geocache logs

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
Mongo

GPSMAP 66s won't sync my Geocache logs

Unread post by Mongo »

First grumble:
I did a load of Geocaching today, found about 19, and used my Garmin offline (battery life is terrible if keep the bluetooth on).
Anyway, only a few of the caches have been updated on my Geocaching account as found, despite me logging them all on the Garmin device. I tried forcing a sync by going to my Geocache Lists in the device but they would not sync either. Can't even delete any of the lists now.

2nd Grumble:
I set the alarm in Geocaching Settings to tell me when I'm within 30m of a cache. This worked for 1 cache today, then never worked after that. This is one of the main features I wanted the Garmin for, but it doesn't work.

Would appreciate anyone's help!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 66s won't sync my Geocache logs

Unread post by GPSrChive »

#1 Grumble:

When Setup > Geocaching >Geocaching Live > Auto Upload Logs = On, the device will require an internet connection via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to upload geocache logs as you find them. You state that you keep Bluetooth disabled, which means the GPSr can not upload your logs as you make them in the field. It seems likely that once an internet connection is made available, the GPSr will upload some of these logs from memory, but we have never tested to see how deep this internal 'buffer' will run. The obvious answer is to keep the Bluetooth internet connection enabled long enough for the GPSr to upload your log when you find each geocache.

#2 Grumble:

This sounds exactly like GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Common Issues > Bug 108. This is a known issue and we suspect it will be resolved with the next firmware update.
Mongo

Unread post by Mongo »

Thanks very much for your help. I hope they fix that bug.
I think I'll stick to logging caches with my mobile, to avoid the Garmin/mobile battery going flat! Seems bad that it can't store the logged caches as field notes and log them once connection is made.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I always wait until a later time to log my geocache finds using GSAK, never directly from the GPSr, but that is also just a personal preference.
rgschmidt

Unread post by rgschmidt »

Another option is to upload /Garmin/geocache_visits.txt from your device as concepts onto Geocaching.com. At Geocaching.com these concepts can be logged as found. Works all the time!
Garmin GPSMAP 65S | Garmin GPSMAP 66SR | Garmin GPSMAP 66ST | Garmin Extrex 30
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, that method is covered at: GPSrChive > How To... > Geocaching > Uploading Geocache Logs

This is the same file GSAK uses to determine which caches need to be logged.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”