geocache_visits.txt File

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
CheminerWill

geocache_visits.txt File

Unread post by CheminerWill »

I was going to open the visits text file referenced in this quoted section below of the Geocaching How To here on GPSrChive. I can see logged geocaches on the 66 by browsing dates one at a time on the Calendar Page on the 66 so I would expect to find the visits.txt file mentioned below on the 66 but I don't. Am I missing something simple on how to do this?
Remove geocache logs from a Garmin GPSr
Remove or Delete the [GPSr]\Garmin\geocache_visits.txt file from your Garmin GPSr
On a related note, on the geocaching page of the 66 my found geocaches do not display. There are at least on the 66 in my ggz file so I should be able to see them somehow, on the geocaching page / geocaching live. I like to have all caches showing regardless of found status especially when placing a new cache. I have been fooled once or twice by just looking at the list of closest caches and thinking the hiding spot was clear. Then later after discovering that it was not available, I realized one of my found caches was too close to the hide spot but that found cache did not display on the 66 on my list of closest caches.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: geocache_visits.txt File

Unread post by GPSrChive »

CheminerWill wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:10 pm I was going to open the visits text file referenced in this quoted section below of the Geocaching How To here on GPSrChive. I can see logged geocaches on the 66 by browsing dates one at a time on the Calendar Page on the 66 so I would expect to find the visits.txt file mentioned below on the 66 but I don't. Am I missing something simple on how to do this?
Remove geocache logs from a Garmin GPSr
Remove or Delete the [GPSr]\Garmin\geocache_visits.txt file from your Garmin GPSr
Every one of my Garmin GPSr that are mass storage capable and that I have logged found caches on that device has that file.

If you load found caches via GCLive, they will only be located in the internal SQL directory, inaccessible to you other than in the Calendar and Geocache page, as you mention above. These can only be removed by clearing all GCLive data from the device.

If you were to keep an 'updated' list of all found geocaches at groundspeak, you could sync that list and then enable or disable it at will, without affecting other GCLive data loaded to the GPSr.
CheminerWill wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:10 pm On a related note, on the geocaching page of the 66 my found geocaches do not display. There are at least on the 66 in my ggz file so I should be able to see them somehow, on the geocaching page / geocaching live.
Have you checked your Geocache Filters to make sure you have them enabled under 'Status' and that the GPX/GGZ files containing them are enabled under 'Files'?
CheminerWill

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:27 pm
Every one of my Garmin GPSr that are mass storage capable and that I have logged found caches on that device has that file.
I may then be confused as to how it works. I do see found caches on the calendar. But no visits text file. So maybe the founds on the calendar are there from the geocaching live data?

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:27 pm If you were to keep an 'updated' list of all found geocaches at groundspeak, you could sync that list and then enable or disable it at will, without affecting other GCLive data loaded to the GPSr.
I will look at doing that. Thanks.

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:27 pm Have you checked your Geocache Filters to make sure you have them enabled under 'Status' and that the GPX/GGZ files containing them are enabled under 'Files'?
I have "applied" the show all filter in a couple of places, but I am not sure about where to find enable under "Status". Also can't find "Files" to make sure ggz files are enabled. I am fairly certain that my ggz file is working fine though because I do see some personal waypoints on the 66 map that are only in the ggz file and not at geocaching.com
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

CheminerWill wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:50 pm
gpsrchive wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:27 pm
I may then be confused as to how it works. I do see found caches on the calendar. But no visits text file. So maybe the founds on the calendar are there from the geocaching live data?
Correct.

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:27 pm If you were to keep an 'updated' list of all found geocaches at groundspeak, you could sync that list and then enable or disable it at will, without affecting other GCLive data loaded to the GPSr.
I will look at doing that. Thanks.
Let us know how well that works!

gpsrchive wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:27 pm Have you checked your Geocache Filters to make sure you have them enabled under 'Status' and that the GPX/GGZ files containing them are enabled under 'Files'?
I have "applied" the show all filter in a couple of places, but I am not sure about where to find enable under "Status".
GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Geocaching > Geocache Filters > Status

CheminerWill wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:50 pm Also can't find "Files" to make sure ggz files are enabled.
GPSrChive > GPSMAP 66 > Pages > Geocaching > Geocache Filters > Geocache Files

CheminerWill wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:50 pm I am fairly certain that my ggz file is working fine though because I do see some personal waypoints on the 66 map that are only in the ggz file and not at geocaching.com
Sounds like it is enabled then!
CheminerWill

Got it I think. Thanks.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”