cannot edit routes downloaded from Basecamp

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 66s/st GPSr
steerage250

cannot edit routes downloaded from Basecamp

Unread post by steerage250 »

I usually do my route planning in Basecamp and download them to the GPSr. (Previously used to use MapSource with my old 60csx).

I have just discovered that the Edit Route option is not available for any routes downloaded from Basecamp - but it is there if I create a route on the GPSr.

I also note that the Reverse Route option is not available with downloaded routes.

- has anyone else had this issue ?
- any suggestions ?
Mikkyp20

Re: cannot edit routes downloaded from Basecamp

Unread post by Mikkyp20 »

Same for me, (I use Mapsource), on both GPSMAP66s and 0750t. I can only edit routes created on the GPSr.
steerage250

Can *anyone* edit routes downloaded from MapSource or Basecamp ??
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Routes exported from BaseCamp calculated with any activity other than 'Direct Routing' will be followed precisely, without recalculation, and may not be edited on the GPSr.

The trick here is, once you have the route working just the way you like it in BaseCamp (or MapSource), BEFORE exporting it to your GPSr, change the routes activity to 'Direct Routing', THEN export it to your device.

Now you will be able to edit it at will, and, if you select other routing activities on the GPSr (hiking, biking, etc.), if you have the same maps installed on your device as you were using in BaseCamp, it will still route the same way.

OR

Send one copy with the desired routing (this route can not be edited on the GPSR), and send another copy of it in Direct Routing activity, appending the route name with 'Direct' or something similar, and this one can be edited on the GPSr.
steerage250

fantastic - (as could be expected) what you say works !

thank you indeed

Ian
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Excellent! :D
steerage250

While changing the route type to Direct before downloading is a good work-around, the whole issue is a real pain when you forget to do so and you're deep in the bush before you realise. I don't think it is satisfactory, and have reported it to Garmin as a bug in either BaseCamp and/or the GPSr.
sussamb

Unread post by sussamb »

Good luck with that, it's the way all Garmin GPS work, at least all the handhelds I've had, and there is no more BaseCamp development so it's unlikely things will change.

Return to “GPSMAP 66s/st”