GPSMAP 64, 64s, 64st Firmware Update 5.60

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

GPSMAP 64, 64s, 64st Firmware Update 5.60

Unread post by GPSrChive »

GPSMAP 64, 64s, 64st Firmware Update 5.60 released 16OCT19:

Changes made from version 5.50 to 5.60:
  • Fixed potential issue with GPS+GLONASS.
That's the only change they have published with this update. If anyone notices any other changes, improvements, or new bugs, please report them here!
scotte

Re: GPSMAP 64, 64s, 64st Firmware Update 5.60

Unread post by scotte »

Hopefully that is a fix for when the GPSr is unable to get a fix unless GLONASS is turned off (which is a real issue, not a "potential issue"). I've run into that one recently.

I don't think Garmin will ever fix the issue where geocaches disappear once you turn the unit off. That big has been there for several years already.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

scotte wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:28 pm Hopefully that is a fix for when the GPSr is unable to get a fix unless GLONASS is turned off (which is a real issue, not a "potential issue"). I've run into that one recently.
Yes, that is the malfunction they have corrected.
scotte wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:28 pm I don't think Garmin will ever fix the issue where geocaches disappear once you turn the unit off. That big has been there for several years already.
Which bug is this?
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index. ... es-issues/ is a good thread on the geocaching problem (note that thread was started over 5 years ago, in 2014, and despite the title is not limited to the preloaded file). Basically, any geocaches (loaded by any method that I've tried) are only available in the unit until the GPSr is turned off. After turning it back on, the GPSr will report "No geocaches found" - all other waypoints are fine. A workaround is to always store geocaches on the SD card, then when this occurs, it's possible to force a fix by removing the SD card, start the unit, power it back off and reinsert the SD card. With access to a computer, renaming the files will also fix it (for one power cycle).

Thanks for confirming the GLONASS fix. I was headed out on a training mission last time I ran into that, and didn't know about the workaround at the time. Thankfully the GPSr started working again after 45 or so minutes and it wasn't a real search and rescue mission.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I am not having any luck duplicating this on our GPSMAP 64s v560.

Can you please give detailed instructions on how you can duplicate this behavior, and maybe even share geocaches you loaded (here or email webmaster@GPSrChive.com) for testing purposes?

Thank You!
scotte

Unread post by scotte »

Thanks! I'll start a new thread once I have a minimal test case. It's likely some interaction with specific settings or something else, like custom maps - it seems to happen consistent for the unlucky and never for others...

Return to “GPSMAP 64”