Loading Waypoint, Tracks etc. with ever power up

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
ivhs72

Loading Waypoint, Tracks etc. with ever power up

Unread post by ivhs72 »

Still having issues with every time I power up my 64sx, or change batteries, it updates tracks, waypoints, etc. and takes about 10 minutes to do that. My 64s only does this when I've updated my data, and then boots quicker every time after that. Any idea if Garmin is aware of this??
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Loading Waypoint, Tracks etc. with ever power up

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Waiting for mine to arrive so I can start testing!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

How much data do you have loaded? In what formats?

My 64csx boots very quickly every time, but i do not have a lot of data loaded.
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

My usual pocket queries, same as I load on my 64s. On the 64s it takes about 10 minutes the first time, then boots in a minute on subsequent power on. With the 64sx, it takes 10 minutes every time I power it on. I did call Garmin about, they told me they would open a case for their engineering staff on it, and asked me to send copies of the files on my device. But I never received the email they said they would send with what they wanted so I'm not sure where it stands.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

What is your precise process for transferring PQ's from GC.com to your GPSMAP 64?

I want to know exactly how you do it so I can duplicate your process.

Thank You!
ivhs72

Unread post by ivhs72 »

gpsrchive wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:15 pm What is your precise process for transferring PQ's from GC.com to your GPSMAP 64?

I want to know exactly how you do it so I can duplicate your process.

Thank You!
I plug in my GPSr into my PC via USB. The GPSr shows up as a disc drive. I open it to the Garmin/GPX folder. I open my C: drive in a second window, where my pocket queries are kept. I download them from the GroundSpeak web site, and they are zipped. I unzip them using WinZip, and each PQ is in it's own folder. I then select all PQ folders, and drag/drop them in the open Garmin/GPX folder. After they're copied, I eject the GPSr from the computer. I then power it on, and it boots. It stops at the Loading Waypoints, Track screen, and the progress bar advances. It takes 10-15 minutes for that to happen.

This is the same process that I've always used for all of my Garmin GPSr devices, from the Oregon 300 on. After updating the PQs, the first time I power on, it takes the same amount of time to load the first time. Each subsequent power on it takes less than a minute to update. Except with the 64sx (and the 66s, but that's another story). It takes the same amount of time to Load Waypoints, Tracks, etc. each time I turn it on, or change the batteries.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”