GPSMAP 64sx not showing found geocaches

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
twisty

GPSMAP 64sx not showing found geocaches

Unread post by twisty »

I cant seem to get my unit to show the caches with the open chest after I log the find. When caching on the map the caches always opened ounce found on my older unit?? Thanks twisty
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 64sx not showing found geocaches

Unread post by GPSrChive »

May need to enable Found Geocaches in the Geocaching Filters.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 64sx > Pages > Geocaches > Geocache Filters
twisty

Unread post by twisty »

I have tried all the options and nothing seems to work--show found appear on their own page with the open chests but the chests remain closed when I select found on compass page--does not matter if I select done or find next closest--same results
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Selecting 'Find' on the Compass page marks the current destination geocache as found.

After doing this, the geocache is still shown as Closed Chest on map?

Perhaps you can upload a couple of screen captures to help describe what you are seeing?

Also, please, what firmware version is your GPSMAP 64sx currently running?
factotem

Unread post by factotem »

I have a 64csx and for me it works as expected and is controlled by the Geocache filter. (I use found from the compass the most, but I have tried a log/found and it did not appear to do anything different - is it supposed to create a generic log on the cache page?)

With the filter set to "All statuses" a found (open chest) cache appears on the map, recent finds and geocache list.
With the filter set to "Unattempted/DNF" it is as above except it does not appear in the geocache list.

Using latest s/w version

Hope that helps
David
GPSrChive
Site Admin

What is the current 'latest' software version installed to your GPSMAP 64csx?

The problem with posting "I have the latest or most current version" is that six months from now, or a year, or two, or more, todays 'current firmware' version will no longer be valid, nor will the statement.

It is always best to provide the actual version reported from your device on the 'Setup > About' page!
factotem

Apologies version is 2.70 (just being a bit lazy).

On the same topic I have found that if you select a cache but quit without finding it it appears in Recent Finds but with the chest closed. It was the same with my old gpsmap60csx and to my mind defies logic.

Having done some more fiddling I find that basic Log Attempt data is recorded in the device memory as geocache_logs and/or geocache_visits. Am I right in thinking that this simply serves as an index of your caching history?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, those files are used by groundspeak website and third party software like GSAK to retreive your geocaching logs for processing.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

'Recent Finds' applies to any geocache, waypoint, track, route, POI, etc. That you have recently chosen for navigation, and does not require that you have actually navigated to it.
factotem

<Having done some more fiddling I find that basic Log Attempt data is recorded in the device memory as geocache_logs and/or geocache_visits. Am I right in thinking that this simply serves as an index of your caching history?>

<Yes, those files are used by groundspeak website and third party software like GSAK to retrieve your geocaching logs for processing.>

If I understand your response correctly you are saying that a log can be transferred from my garmin to the groundspeak website and/or the GSAK database? Is there anywhere this is explained? I must admit it is more curiosity as I think I am unlikely to use the feature. Creating an individual log with the keyboard is tedious and I happen to think a generic such as TFTC log is a bit of an insult to the c/o unless it is a big circuit and a detailed log is submitted at the beginning or end.

Return to “GPSMAP 64”