GPSMAP 64sx and TopoActive 2020.20 Update

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 64 series GPSr
switchyardsullivan

GPSMAP 64sx and TopoActive 2020.20 Update

Unread post by switchyardsullivan »

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give a heads up on the new 2020.20 topoactive update which came out towards the end of 2020, since I have not seen any articles on it.

With the 8 gb of memory on the 64sx you cannot install this update on the base handheld anymore. You have to have an SD card now. Garmin support confirmed over the phone that this is indeed the case.

I hope this helps anyone searching for the same info in the future
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 64sx and TopoActive 2020.20 Update

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Thank you for the reminder!

We already experienced this same situation with our eTrex Touch 25 with TopoActive Europe installed. The last couple of updates required a microSD card to be installed due to a lack of available memory in the GPSr itself.

While this type of expandable memory (limited to 32GB in outdoor recreation devices) is now incredibly inexpensive to add, it does prevent the user from making use of any Garmin map cards they already own.

Garmin really should be increasing the amount of internal memory (minimum 32GB) in all of their newer handheld units, especially since it can be done with a minimal additional manufacturing cost.

This is, in my opinion, very short sighted on Garmin's part.
switchyardsullivan

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I am glad I am not the only one with this issue!

A few questions since you have experience....

1) If i install an sdcard and update... and the SD card fails.... Will i loose the entire topomap?
2) Does it wipe the SDCARD to install this way? eg. Can i have my backroads mapbooks live on the SD card as well?

Hope all is well in your GPSing
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

switchyardsullivan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 am 1) If i install an sdcard and update... and the SD card fails.... Will i loose the entire topomap?
While I have never experienced this specific scenario, and can not say from actual experience, I do suspect that since Garmin servers know all maps registered to each unique GPSr, and should a memory card fail, Garmin Express would likely continue additional map installation attempts (after replacing the microSD card in the device) until it is successful.

switchyardsullivan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:10 am 2) Does it wipe the SDCARD to install this way? eg. Can i have my backroads mapbooks live on the SD card as well?
Typically, no. But, to be extra safe, use a blank microSD card in your device when Garmin Express has map updates to install, then copy those files to the microSD card you want to use in the GPSr. This way, Garmin Express never has the opportunity to accidentally delete any of your existing maps!

Also, make archival backup copies of any maps you can not afford to lose.
switchyardsullivan

Sounds good, thanks for the input on these. I will post back if I test either item!
I guess for ultimate piece of mind i should consider a 16gb model. Oh well. Maybe after this one fails like my 64s did :)

Return to “GPSMAP 64”