Time Zone Map version

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 62 series GPSr
inu

Time Zone Map version

Unread post by inu »

Is there a way to cause the unit to display the Time Zone map version?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Time Zone Map version

Unread post by GPSrChive »

On the device, none that I am aware of.

If you connect the GPSr to your computer and open the \Garmin\GarminDevice.xml file in a text editor, you can search for 'gmaptz' and find the version that way.

Why do you ask?
inu

Unread post by inu »

Why do you ask?
Just curious. From time to time, Garmin offers updates for TZ so the map is actually a subject to change. BTW there is also the basemap DEM file. As every map file, it also has version information in the map header. Never seen updates for the basemap so it's a bit less relevant, but in my opinion, it does not add convenience that the versions of these installed pseudo-maps can not be seen without having to connect the device to computer.

One more question, if I may.
In general, TZ map is model-specific. So the file for one GPSr model is not suitable for the other. I wonder if the TZ map version numbering is also model-specific or the TZ map revision history is consistent among all the models?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please share what you know about time zone map versions.

I am only aware of two versions, a full version used by most devices, and a lite version for some wearables and other low memory devices.

What others are there?
inu

Unread post by inu »

Currently, the only method to obtain updates is to use the automation (Garmin Express, WebUpdater, etc.). But in old days it was possible to download an update file for your device from Garmin web site and put it in the device manually. Updates for a new models were published more frequently, so I once tried to update GPSMAP62s with TZ map for GPSMAP64 and this resulted in failure. The map file binary seemed intact (based on the checksum) but the device just refused to accept it. So I have a feeling that there can be more than two versions for the TZ map format. Anyway it's just my suspicion as I don't have a variety of the models and files for testing
GPSrChive
Site Admin

I would like to know more about the 'failure' you experienced with your GPSMAP 62 time zone map update.

We have more than 100 Garmin GPSr, and use the same time zone map in all of them, seemingly without issue.
inu

Unread post by inu »

The chances are it was a particular file issue. AFAIR, in later time, WebUpdater also started reporting a failure to update the TZ map.

It'll be great if you can provide a known good TZ map file for a newer model so I can make sure it's backward compatible with my GPSMAP62s.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Why can't you connect your GPSr to a computer and open Garmin Express to get the current version for your device?

Related: Garmin Time Zone Map Update History
inu

Unread post by inu »

Sure I can. But it will not clarify the matter. The problem is not with my device. It works fine. It already has the TZ map of v.29.00 (01.04.2022), which is the latest, I presume. So Garmin Express will not bring any new data. The problem is that Garmin for some reason does not provide direct download links any more so it's difficult to get a TZ map for a different device to find out if the TZ file is exactly the same binary across GPSMAP series or there are model-specific variations.

BTW thanks for the revision history

Return to “GPSMAP 62”