eTrex 20 starts, but not responsive

Discussion related to the Garmin eTrex 10, 20 30 GPSr
RecipeForDisaster

eTrex 20 starts, but not responsive

Unread post by RecipeForDisaster »

After changing batteries, the eTrex started up but none of the buttons worked. It had been working fine before this. Since then, I have removed the SD card, changed batteries several times, then removed the GPX folder(and emptied trash before ejecting), and attempted to reset by holding down menu + enter while starting several times. The latter did not work - it just had the Garmin splash screen which never progressed, whether I kept holding the buttons or not. I did not get an offer to reset.

I have to pull batteries every time I start. Is there anything that can be done for this poor guy? It DOES connect to the computer and Garmin Express says the firmware is up to date. Of course this failed us while on a trip…
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: eTrex 20 starts, but not responsive

Unread post by GPSrChive »

To clarify, you are cycling the Power button while holding the Menu and Enter buttons, correct?

Have you attempted holding the Menu and Power buttons to open the Diagnostic page?
RecipeForDisaster

Yes, I have done both. It seems that none of the buttons work, except the power button when first starting the unit.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

All buttons in this model are mounted directly to the PCB, so no ribbons etc. to come loose.

Can you however get into Mass Storage Mode and see all device contents, files and folders?

If yes, what folders and files are currently present?
RecipeForDisaster

That’s good to know. It does come up in mass storage. I only deleted the GPX folder in troubleshooting this - it’s no longer connected to the computer and I’m not with one at this time, but the rest of the usual contents seemed to be there. I looked for an Activities folder but there is not one on this device, I don’t believe.
RecipeForDisaster

Here is a screenshot of the contents. Please let me know what you think... would love to get this working again.

Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 1.03.00 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Appears you have TWO GarminDevice.xml files, one in Garmin Directory, one in root directory?

Also, many files show creation dates from 1969?

Delete the one not in the Garmin folder, and please send us the GarminDevice.xml and System.xml files that are in the Garmin Folder.

If you are using a MAC, EMPTY THE TRASH!

Reboot the device a couple times, then look to see if the extra GarminDevice.xml file returns.
RecipeForDisaster

OK, deleted. I always empty trash before ejecting anything. How should I send you the files? I am not allowed to send PMs.
RecipeForDisaster

Wow!! It seems to be fixed! How on earth did this happen while I was out caching - it worked great for a week, and then, after changing batteries... that file was duplicated and messed everything up?

I connected a few times and the file did not reappear. I do wonder about it, though.

Thank you so much!!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Good news, sounds like the 'extra' GarminDevice.xml file in the wrong directory was causing the problem.

Glad you got it resolved and you can continue enjoying your eTrex 20 again!

Return to “eTrex x0”