Elevation Plot Issues

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Paul

Elevation Plot Issues

Unread post by Paul »

Hello everyone,
this is my first time posting here, and I'm hoping to get some help.
I recently switched from using a GPSMAP 62 to a GPSMAP 67. Before making the switch, I thoroughly researched the device and thought I knew all its pros and cons. However, it seems like I missed something important regarding the elevation plot feature.
I mainly use the GPS for mountain biking and hiking, relying heavily on downloaded tracks and frequently checking the elevation plot. Here are the issues I'm facing:

Issue #1: When I select the elevation plot and move along the track, my position on the elevation plot doesn't update in real-time. To see my current position, I have to navigate back and forth by hitting QUIT and then PAGE. My previous GPSMAP 62 always updated the current position on the elevation plot. Is there a method for the GPSMAP 67 to show the current position while moving?

Issue #2: While following a track, I noticed that the elevation profile of the distance traveled and the upcoming distance appears to be smoothed out on the GPSMAP 67
Spoiler
GPSMAP67_elevation_plot.jpg
compared to my old GPSMAP 62.
Spoiler
GPSMAP62_elevation_plot.jpg
I took screenshots from both devices and merged them into one image to highlight the difference.
Spoiler
plot_gpsmap67versus62.jpg
Can the upcoming elevation plot on the GPSMAP 67 be displayed in more detail, similar to how it was on the GPSMAP 62?

Issue #3: When viewing the elevation plot, I find the split-screen mode with the entire elevation profile on top and the zoom area below unnecessary. Is there a way to disable this split-screen mode?

Any help or insights into these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Elevation Plot Issues

Unread post by GPSrChive »

#1. Will require testing before we can answer

#2. It is likely that each device is using a different DEM map.

#3. Short answer, No. The top frame allows the user to track the portion of the total plot that is being displayed in the lower frame.
Domi93CH

Unread post by Domi93CH »

I can confirm that the altitude chart freezes as soon as you open it and then it doesn't update anymore. But that was the not case with the 65s.
Garmin claimed that I simply didn't understand how an elevation chart works when I reported it.
Paul

Unread post by Paul »

Thank you, Domi93CH, for your answer. At least now I know this is not a handling problem. Is there a known workaround for this problem?
I haven't seen any posts about issue #2 in any forums. It seems like nobody has noticed yet that the elevation profile in the zoom range doesn’t show the elevation details. When I look at the altitude profile of a track on BaseCamp, all the details of the elevation graph are visible, but on the GPSMAP67, they are not there anymore. This is not a zoom function at all.
Issues #1 and #2 worked perfectly with my two previous devices, the GMPMAP 60CS and the GPSmap 62S.
Domi93CH

Unread post by Domi93CH »

at FW 8.30 the altitude diagram runs along the route again, so with 8.30 it works as it should
Paul

Unread post by Paul »

That is great! I just updated to 8.3 and will test it soon. Thanks for letting me know.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”