CityNavigator map layer

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
JungleJim

CityNavigator map layer

Unread post by JungleJim »

I have several OSM-based maps, City Navigator EU NTU, Topo Active Europe and the free Abruzzo TrekMap Italy map on an SD card in my GPSMAP 67.

When I activate a single routable OSM-based map in Map Manager (and keep all other maps disabled), the CityNavigator map layer is also enabled, which I wouldn't expect to happen.

When I disable the CityNavigator map layer, all routable OSM-based maps are disabled as well.

And when I re-enable the CityNavigator map layer, the City Navigator map is enabled (as expected) but also all OSM-based maps. The Abruzzo TrekMap Italy map stays disabled.

I had the impression this was working correctly before device software version 7.60, but I'm not sure anymore so I'm wondering if others can verify or remember how this was working?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: CityNavigator map layer

Unread post by GPSrChive »

This has always been an issue with devices that allow maps to be enabled/disabled collectively.

The reason is that all (or most) third party maps secretly identify as CityNavigator maps, so when CN is toggled, they also are toggled.

It is up to the map makers to properly code their maps so this does not occur.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Thanks, I indeed had the suspicion that this is being caused by the fact that the 3rd party maps are routable.

Do you happen to know how map makers should code their maps then? Is there any flag or header data that could prevent this from happening?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

For me the map layers menus make no sense at all. Additionally, you cannot turn off individual Topo maps provided by Garmin and they are provided as a layer. Unnecessary confusion.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Nail wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:44 am Additionally, you cannot turn off individual Topo maps provided by Garmin and they are provided as a layer.
Have you tried this in the hidden Trip Computer Test Page?

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Troubleshooting > Hidden Test Pages for details.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:09 pm
Have you tried this in the hidden Trip Computer Test Page?

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Troubleshooting > Hidden Test Pages for details.
I have to check it, but it is not an option for an ordinary user.

Are there any GPSMap67 users on the forum, who have an Outdoor Maps+ subscription?
If so, is there an additional layer related to these maps in the map layers?
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

All available Outdoor Maps+ layers will be available via the Map page Map Layers menu.

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Pages > Map > Map Layers for details.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

The hidden test menu has map switches. Of course, Topo Europe is not divided into areas as it was in GPSMAP66sr.
Spoiler
hidden test menu.jpg
The map manager does not have such switches for TOPO maps. It's an error.
Spoiler
Menager maps.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:11 pm It is up to the map makers to properly code their maps so this does not occur.
The creator of the device should make sure that mapping companies have knowledge of how the device will work. After all, maps existed before 67 was created. I don't know why Garmin assigned OSM maps to CN? Especially since the new TOPO is based on OSM. The inability to create your own layer also undermines the point of this menu.
GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Nail wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm
GPSrChive wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:11 pm It is up to the map makers to properly code their maps so this does not occur.
The creator of the device should make sure that mapping companies have knowledge of how the device will work.
Garmin maps use proprietary code developed exclusively by Garmin Software engineers. Garmin have ZERO obligation to share this intellectual property.

Those who use Garmin products are incredibly fortunate they are not prevented from using third party maps on their devices. Many users do not properly appreciate this concession.

It is solely the responsibility of third party map makers to ensure their maps will work properly with the devices they are created for.

Nail wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm After all, maps existed before 67 was created.
And 99% of these third party maps were created improperly.

Nail wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm I don't know why Garmin assigned OSM maps to CN? Especially since the new TOPO is based on OSM.
Your 'facts' are wrong. Garmin did not assign OSM maps to CN.

The fact is most third party maps are coded as CN when they are created.

Nail wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:08 pm The inability to create your own layer also undermines the point of this menu.
What do you want to create? Which menu are you referring to?

Return to “GPSMAP 67”