Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Przekątny

Re: Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Unread post by Przekątny »

Meyer741 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:09 am When I turn on my 67 after days, it shows me the altitude at which I calibrated it days ago.
The calibration altitude is set at once.
"After a few days" has meaning.

The principles of altimeter calibration in tourist devices are the same, in the 66 they are similar to those in the 67, the problem is that the 66 did not acquire full satellite acquisition immediately after launch,
when activity recording was automatically turned on, an incorrect GPS altitude was assumed.

incorrect altitude = incorrect altimeter calibration.

Solution:
Update the EPO.BIN file by connecting to Garmin Connect or Garmin express.
Turn on activity logging manually after complete satellite acquisition.
Meyer741

Unread post by Meyer741 »

Thanks,
learned something again.
I thought the problem with the height might be hidden here.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

My 67, even after several days without working, gives the right altitude for me. No need to correct it.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
dhg

Unread post by dhg »

How have you verified that it's correct?
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

mimichris wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:07 am My 67, even after several days without working, gives the right altitude for me.
Each device will sooner or later obtain full satellite acquisition and set the correct altitude,
67 automatically updates the CPE.BIN file, so after a few days after the last use,
it will obtain full satellite acquisition faster.

In 66 you need to update the EPO.BIN file containing initial information about the satellites' positions.
Oscar

Unread post by Oscar »

Hi! My name is Oscar and I'm new to this forum. Recently I purchased gpsmap 67 and I encountered the same total ascent bug right out of the box. Today I made an experiment and walked around 2km on a beach with almost zero elevation. Activity summary showed 70(!) metres of total ascent. I also noticed that it got something to do with activity recording, because gps elevation itself was accurate and elevation graph that I see in Garmin Connect is accurate too. Does anyone got the solution?
P.S.
Also proximity alarm is not working:/
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Oscar wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:56 pm Hi! My name is Oscar and I'm new to this forum. Recently I purchased gpsmap 67 and I encountered the same total ascent bug right out of the box. Today I made an experiment and walked around 2km on a beach with almost zero elevation. Activity summary showed 70(!) metres of total ascent. I also noticed that it got something to do with activity recording, because gps elevation itself was accurate and elevation graph that I see in Garmin Connect is accurate too. Does anyone got the solution?
P.S.
Also proximity alarm is not working:/
Hi welcome to the forum and welcome to the club of users experiencing exaggerated ascent values :P

I (and others) are experiencing the same issue as you describe. Elevation is quite accurate (within a limit of a couple of meters, usually) but Ascent and Descent values are not. I find that when I calibrate to known elevation before starting activity recording and having the altimeter Auto Calibration setting set to Off gives better results than Auto Calibration set to Once or Continuous. But YMMV.

I suggest you report your findings to Garmin Support: the more people report this, the better the chance that Garmin will do something about it.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
Backstreetbob

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

Anyone know if 8.30 has fixed this issue yet?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Test it and be the first to report your results!!!
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

whether it's the old version or the new version, the altitude at home when I turn on the 67 is always the same and is the correct altitude. I didn't notice any big differences between that of the 67 and the reality on the ground.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”