Re: Total Ascent Values Exaggerated by 50% [Bug 29]

Unread post by Domi93CH »

A picture is worth a thousand words:
Spoiler
IMG_7183.jpeg
- one-time altimeter calibration (67)
- ~ 50mins walking
- nearly the same ascent/descent on the 65s and 67
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backstreetbob

Unread post by Backstreetbob »

Excellent stuff. Looks like the 67 is finally working as it should. When ever I did this test side by side with the 65s v 67 the 67 would always be 3-4 more ascent/descent..
Backstreetbob

Just did a mostly flat 4 mile walk with my 67 and Epix and 65s 
Epix Ascent 123ft Descent 114ft
65s Ascent 138ft Descent 124ft
67 Ascent 896ft Descent 919ft

The 67 figures seem even more bonkers with the latest firmware than before!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

What were your altimeter settings for each of those devices during that test? It is difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from these results without that information.
Backstreetbob

Set to once on the 67 and the epix is just Auto there is no option to change on the epix. Regardless of Once or Continuous on the 67 either setting it still has this fault. The 65s is set to Auto Calibration again no other option apart from "off".

Recording intervals are set to Normal on the 67 and 65s and "Smart" on the Epix I've never changed either of those settings.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Still trying to determine what each user is doing differently as not everyone is experiencing this same behavior.
Backstreetbob

GPSrChive wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:03 pm Still trying to determine what each user is doing differently as not everyone is experiencing this same behavior.
Yes for sure, how far were the others walking though? If it's a short distance, the numbers aren't as bad. If you're doing a longer walk that's mostly flat 4-5 miles it's bonkers.. But regardless off what settings people are using it shouldn't do it either way..

Also if you're walking straight up and down a mountain it works as it should, it's just any flat walking it can't seem to work it out correctly and seems to add any single change in elevation the altimeter makes as the altimeter fluctuates up and down even when still or on the flat..
Backstreetbob

Mines a brand new model. All tho I took delivery of it yesterday, the serial number is much older than the one I had before..
Przekątny

Unread post by Przekątny »

Backstreetbob wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:20 am Also if you're walking straight up and down a mountain it works as it should, it's just any flat walking it can't seem to work it out correctly and seems to add any single change in elevation the altimeter makes as the altimeter fluctuates up and down even when still or on the flat..
The altimeter in your device is probably OK, it records altitude changes correctly.

During archiving, the device software adds a TrackStatsExtension sequence block in which the inflated value
of ascents and descents has been entered, the value is inflated in relation to the data recorded by the device.
When reading a saved file, the receiver or Base Camp does not (re)calculate ascents and descents,
but displays the value stored in the TrackStatsExtension sequence.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Backstreetbob wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 6:20 am Also if you're walking straight up and down a mountain it works as it should, it's just any flat walking it can't seem to work it out correctly and seems to add any single change in elevation the altimeter makes as the altimeter fluctuates up and down even when still or on the flat..
I have observed the same behavior. The elevation reading is quite correct but sometimes it fluctuates one or two meters up or down when moving on level ground. The Total Ascent field seems to take all these small fluctuations into account.

For me I got the best results with Auto Calibration set to Off and manually calibrating elevation to a known elevation.
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520

Return to “GPSMAP 67”