Test 66sr vs 67

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
mimichris

Test 66sr vs 67

Unread post by mimichris »

Here is a test between 66sr blue and 67 purple, the closest to ground reality being the 67, I was walking on sidewalks.
I wore the GPS on my belt, antenna up on each side of my body.
Spoiler
test-66sr-67-04-06-2023.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
MarkHL

Re: Test 66sr vs 67

Unread post by MarkHL »

You image appears to show the 67 following the sidewalk closer than the 66sr. Both tracks appear similar with each track showing more detail than the other in different locations. However, if there was no underlying image how would that change your evaluation?

My point is regardless of the software we use to display the tracks (e.g., earth, explore, expertgps, connect, gaia etc.) we are evaluating the GPS in part by how well the track lines up with the underlying image. Most of these apps display the track most accurately at a given elevation and the tracks line up less accurately as we stray from that ideal elevation view. In your example, you are zoomed-in significantly.

Second, from my experience the same device will lay a slightly different track on any given day. A single track is only a sample of the reception accuracy you were receiving on the day you recorded it.

For example, this is the same device laying multiple tracks over the same course on different days (software app is Garmin Explore).
Spoiler
Screenshot_20230528_074748_Explore.jpg
My point is, we seem to be evaluating (only) the GPS for accuracy without taking into account that the software displaying the track and how it is being used is also a variable.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

The 67 follows my position on the field well, I was walking on the sidewalk and the 66sr is rather to my left with a shift even in the field where there are olive trees.
On the other hand, further in the countryside in a straight line, the two tracks overlap well. It is a remark that I made by comparing the two, the 67 is more faithful to the reality on the ground.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.
MarkHL

Unread post by MarkHL »

mimichris wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:40 pm The 67 follows my position on the field well, I was walking on the sidewalk and the 66sr is rather to my left with a shift even in the field where there are olive trees.
On the other hand, further in the countryside in a straight line, the two tracks overlap well. It is a remark that I made by comparing the two, the 67 is more faithful to the reality on the ground.
I tried to add to my post earlier, but I coluld no longer update it, so this was left out.

I stated what you posted was valuable information since it showed two different devices recording the same path of travel and I that i was slightly off topic, but it seemed relevant to the discussion since you appeared to be zoomed-in significantly. Zooming out would make each track appear in a slightly different location on the underlying image and might improve the apparent location of the 66SR's tracking.
Since I own a 67, I'm not trying support the 66sr, just making an observation.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”