Map Zoom [Bug 9]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Nail

Map Zoom [Bug 9]

Unread post by Nail »

The GPSMAP 67 has less magnification than the 66.
Do you have that too?
Spoiler
67vs66sr4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gadwin

Re: Map Zoom [Bug 9]

Unread post by Gadwin »

Yes, the first times I just tried to push more on the zoom button until I understood, that it was already maxed out. This device feels like 3 steps forward (beidou, usb-c, battery life) and amount 10 steps back (accuracy, keypad lock, zoom, and so on).
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Nail, please double check all other maps that are enabled and disable them all, then retest. It is possible that another enabled map may be using a different projection causing the display to be stretched vertically.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:05 am Nail, please double check all other maps that are enabled and disable them all, then retest. It is possible that another enabled map may be using a different projection causing the display to be stretched vertically.
I turned off all maps except DEM, 67 still doesn't zoom like 66sr.

Another test.
I zoom out the maps until only DEM remains.
The 66sr needs 18x "+" presses for maximum magnification.
The 67 needs pressing "+" 20x for maximum zoom, and the final image is still smaller than in the 66sr.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Nail wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:49 pm The GPSMAP 67 has less magnification than the 66.
Do you have that too?
Spoiler
67vs66sr4.jpg
PLEASE provide those same screens as screen captures from each device, ASAP. Thank you.
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:17 pm
Nail wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:49 pm The GPSMAP 67 has less magnification than the 66.
Do you have that too?
Spoiler
67vs66sr4.jpg
PLEASE provide those same screens as screen captures from each device, ASAP. Thank you.
I will add that GPSMAP67 was restored to factory settings and only contains TopoActive maps.
Spoiler
67vs66sr19.jpg
*** Image formatting corrected to comply with forum guidelines ***
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you Nail, but those are not as helpful as the first ones, which had more details (waypoints, etc.) to compare. If you can find something like the original that would be much better. I am going somewhere with this, and you seem to be able to show the error better than I can on my devices. Thank you again for your help!
Nail

Unread post by Nail »

GPSrChive wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:37 am Thank you Nail, but those are not as helpful as the first ones, which had more details (waypoints, etc.) to compare. If you can find something like the original that would be much better. I am going somewhere with this, and you seem to be able to show the error better than I can on my devices. Thank you again for your help!
Spoiler
67vs66sr20.jpg
*** Image formatting corrected to comply with forum guidelines ***
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you Nail!

We have forwarded the following test results to Garmin, but everyone here must also call, email and make complaints every way they know how!
Test Results
A. Both the GPSMAP 66sr and GPSMAP 67 have an identical display resolution of 240x400 pixels.
B. The Map page Scale Bar on the GPSMAP 66sr is 50 pixels wide.
C. The Map page Scale Bar on the GPSMAP 67 is only 42 pixels wide.

Using the provided screen captures, we copied each Map page Scale Bar before rotating and moving them to measure the distance between the 'Test Waypoints' flag icons on the display:

GPSMAP 67 Bug 9 Example 02.png

It seems clear that the scale is not correct on one of these devices. We do not have sufficient data to confirm which is wrong, but they certainly are not both correct!
The next step would be for someone to create two waypoints precisely 5m apart, both using identical latitude values, then take screen captures of both devices showing those waypoint son the Map page at 5m zoom and make certain the Map Display is set to 'North Up'. Then we can make more precise judgements.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”