GPSMAP 67 'Distance to dest.' broken [Bug 6]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Grispoil61

GPSMAP 67 'Distance to dest.' broken [Bug 6]

Unread post by Grispoil61 »

Well, today I went out on a geocaching outing in a little forest not far from home to test my brand new GPSMAP 67 and the results were really bad. So bad that I had to get my old GPS out of my pocket to find any geocaches and finish my day.

I just could not find any geocaches using my new GPSMAP 67. The basic problem is when using the compass, the 'Distance to dest.' field is not working properly.

What I normally do, is select a geocache, then use the MAP to get in the vicinity to the cache, then, when I get close, I use the compass to give me the distance and the correct direction. Normally, when I get closer to the geocache, the 'distance to dest.' value decreases slowly as I walk over the target.

However, in my case, I have observed the following:

1) 'Distance to dest.' is very jumpy. I would get, 30m, 29m, 28m, jumps to 15m, 14m, jumps to 5, 3, 2, 0. (Based on my other GPS, I am still a good 10m away from the cache).
2) Once the distance reaches 0m, it stays at 0m unless I move 30-60 meters away, them I get distance readings again.
3) When I move away and I get a distance reading again (30 - 60m away), I stopped walking, but the distance keeps increasing. 40m 41m, 42m... After a few minutes and without moving, the distance increased to 300m (and kept going) from where the geocache was. My old GPS was still showing the correct distance to the geocache at 40m.

I am including a few screen shots showing the problem.
Image 1, distance at 0m, stuck at 0m there. I was moving around quite a bit but the distance stayed at 0.
Spoiler
10392.bmp
Image 2, Only when I moved 40m away would the distance show a value.
Spoiler
10409.bmp
Image 3 and 4. I am NOT moving at all at this point, yet, the distance keeps increasing.
Spoiler
10456.bmp
Spoiler
10619.bmp
Geocaching is the main reason that I purchased the unit, so, I am very disappointed that something simple like 'distance to dest', does not work. I hope this will be resolved quickly.

Not to be all negative, I did enjoy the maps, the screen and the battery life seems ok (The unit was on for 6hrs or so and the battery dropped only one bar). I still need to get used to the keypad (moving from a touch device).

If the 'distance to dest' problem can be corrected quickly, I will keep the device otherwise, this GPS will be useless for me and I will return it as defective.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vsa

Re: GPSMAP 67 'Distance to dest.' broken [Bug 6]

Unread post by vsa »

I'm using the map with the top box "Distance to dest." and also confirmed that it showed a distance of "0m" and the WPT present was 35m away. I thought my OSM map was doing this. It'll be a bug in the firmware.
"67i"
---
Magellan SporTrak, eTrex Legend C, eTrex Vista HCx, Oregon 300, GPSMAP 62s, 66sr, 67i.
luvvinbird

Unread post by luvvinbird »

I've only ever used "Distance to Next" to get me a direct line to the geocache I'm after. Give that a try.
Grispoil61

luvvinbird wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:49 am I've only ever used "Distance to Next" to get me a direct line to the geocache I'm after. Give that a try.
Are you using a GPSMAP 67?
Distance to dest. should work. Now with 2 reports, it is a confirmed bug I would think.
Grispoil61

Grispoil61 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:01 pm
luvvinbird wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:49 am I've only ever used "Distance to Next" to get me a direct line to the geocache I'm after. Give that a try.
Are you using a GPSMAP 67?
Distance to dest. should work. Now with 2 reports, it is a confirmed bug I would think.
I did a quick test with 'distance to next', same results.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Duplicated behavior for both Distance to Next and Distance to Destination data fields.

We did notice that when viewing the destination waypoint in the Waypoint Manager list, the distance does count down properly, so this appears to be related to the data fields only.

Posted GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Common Issues > Bug 6.
Grispoil61

Hello 'GPSrchive',

Do you normally get feedback from Garmin about these problems? If they acknowledge a bug, how long does it normally take to get a fix?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Yes and No. Sometimes.

The expediency of the bug correction depends on many variable, including severity of bug (crashes usually get higher priority) and how much work is required to resolve any given issue.

I am not at liberty to share any additional information, and results can vary from a few weeks to months or longer. You can read through the Common Issues pages for other devices at GPSrChive to get a 'feel' for how long some bugs take to get corrected, but you will no doubt see that there is great variation and no set answer.

Having said that, if you are new to Garmin, new models usually receive very regular firmware updates during the first 12-18 months after release, then fewer updates farther apart after that. We expect to see many new updates in the coming weeks and months for the GPSMAP 67 series.
neilwoody

Unread post by neilwoody »

For those using the GPSMAP 67 to navigate off-trail, this Distance to next waypoint (or Destination) Bug would be a very serious defect. Do the 67 data fields show the numeric course to the next waypoint?
neilwoody

Unread post by neilwoody »

Hopefully the GPSMAP 67 Distance to destination or waypoint bug has been fixed in firmware update 4.70.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”