Geocache name display problem [Bug 5]

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Grispoil61

Geocache name display problem [Bug 5]

Unread post by Grispoil61 »

I have installed some geocaches on my new GPSMAP 67 and noticed a name display problem:
Spoiler
badDisplay.png
I have resolved the problem by adding a trailing space to the geocache name in the .gpx file for the cache:
Spoiler
goodDisplay.png
The following is the only change I have done in the .gpx file to resolve the problem:

Bad display : <groundspeak:name>Cache cache</groundspeak:name>
Good display: <groundspeak:name>Cache cache </groundspeak:name>
----------------------------------------------------------^ added space character

Is it normal that the lack of a trailing space in the name string is causing the GPS to not correctly display the geocache name?

Thanks for any insight the GPSMAP owners may have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geocache name display problem [Bug 5]

Unread post by GPSrChive »

We have not seen this yet. I will load this cache to my device later today to test myself.

How was this geocache loaded to the device? Was it modified by any third party software?

Have you seen similar issues with any other caches, or only this one so far?

Firmware v4.40 I assume?

Thank you!
Grispoil61

I have this problem for all caches. At first, I was using GSAK to export caches to the device, however, during troubleshooting, I just downloaded one cache directly from groundspeak and modified it with a simple text editor (not a word processor).

The only modification needed to recreate the problem was to add or remove a trailing space in <groundspeak:name> </groundspeak:name>

Firmware 4.40 indeed.
Grispoil61

Looking at the XML file definition for geocaching .gpx files:
Spoiler
I do NOT see a requirement for a trailing blank in the name field:

<xs:element name="name" msdata:Prefix="groundspeak" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" msdata:Ordinal="0"/>

The name field is defined as a 'string' only. The lack of a trailing space should not cause a display problem.

So, to me, this looks like a garmin bug exposed by third party software.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We have tested using a GPSMAP 67, GPSMAP 66sr, GPSMAP 66st, and a Montana 700, an none exhibit the behavior you have shared. All devices loaded the geocache from the Geocache page List tab 'Menu > GC Live Download > GC Code > GC92HD2'.

Can you please remove you manually loaded geocaches and retest via GCLive as we have and report your results? (You must remove your GPX/GGZ data, power device on then off again, then on once more before testing).

Also, can you share the GPX file you have that is exhibiting the issue?

Thank you!
Grispoil61

The issue is not present when using 'Menu > GC Live Download ' to get geocaches.

I am including 2 gpx files showing the behaviour:
Spoiler
Bad.zip
These were placed in the Garmin/GPX folder of the device.

Here are the same 2 files 'NOT showing the behaviour:
Spoiler
Good.zip
The difference between the 2 is an extra trailing space included in the name.

Bad display : <groundspeak:name>Cache cache</groundspeak:name>
Good display: <groundspeak:name>Cache cache </groundspeak:name>
----------------------------------------------------------^ trailing space character
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you for sharing those GPX files.

We have downloaded the geocache GPX file directly from the groundspeak listing page and copied that file, untouched, to our GPSMAP 67 \Garmin\GPX\ directory.

Here are our test results:
Spoiler
001.png
002.png
Interestingly, the blank space preceding the </groundspeak:name> tag is present in all the GPX files I have downloaded from groundspeak tonight.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

After some additional testing, the GPX file that fails on the GPSMAP 67 does not fail on previous models, so we have added Bug 5 to the GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Common Issues page, and reported to Garmin.

Thank you!
Grispoil61

GPSrChive wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:18 am Interestingly, the blank space preceding the </groundspeak:name> tag is present in all the GPX files I have downloaded from groundspeak tonight.

I have found a few geocaches obtained directly from groundspeak that does not have a space and is showing the problem without the need to edit it.
Spoiler
showsproblem.zip

So, the blank space preceding the </groundspeak:name> tag may not be present all the time for geocaches obtained directly from groundspeak.
Grispoil61

This bug is still present at software version 4.70

Return to “GPSMAP 67”