GPSMAP 67 - No USB Mass Storage Mode, only MTP?

Discussion related to the Garmin GPSMAP 67 series GPSr
Grispoil61

GPSMAP 67 - No USB Mass Storage Mode, only MTP?

Unread post by Grispoil61 »

I searched for, but could not find a way to place my new GPSMap 67 device in USB mass transfer mode. I use an application (GSAK) to transfer geocaching files to the device micro SD card, but, the application requires the device be in USB mass transfert mode to be able to do so.

I tried the suggestions given in the troubleshooting section for the 66sr found here:
Spoiler
They do not work.

Furthermore, the suggestions given for the 66sr are not even present for the 67:
Spoiler
Anyone know if this is possible or not? Probably not, but, I would like to confirm with the experts.

Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: GPSMAP 67 - No USB Mass Storage Mode, only MTP?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The GPSMAP 67 series currently only provides two USB connection modes: 'MTP' and 'Garmin'.

You will not be able to write to it directly using the current version of GSAK, but you can save the same export files to your HDD and then copy them over yourself, a more tedious process.

I warned Garmin that the loss of Mass Storage Mode would not be received well, but they just dug their heels in deeper and said they are not budging.

We are going to have to learn how to work with MTP mode as all of their newer devices are this way.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

RINEX also seems gone?
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Another mistake by the Garmin team. RINEX is listed on the official spec page, but it is not currently available on the GPSMAP 67 models.
Grispoil61

Unread post by Grispoil61 »

GPSrChive wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:58 am The GPSMAP 67 series currently only provides two USB connection modes: 'MTP' and 'Garmin'.

You will not be able to write to it directly using the current version of GSAK, but you can save the same export files to your HDD and then copy them over yourself, a more tedious process.

I warned Garmin that the loss of Mass Storage Mode would not be received well, but they just dug their heels in deeper and said they are not budging.

We are going to have to learn how to work with MTP mode as all of their newer devices are this way.
Maybe I should be returning the device to get a refund and stick with my Oregon 600. I prefer a touch device anyway.
I have a few days to think about it.

Bummed out user.
JungleJim

Unread post by JungleJim »

Not having used a Garmin device with MTP mode, is it possible to put custom OSM maps on the 67?
Current: GPSMAP 67, Edge 1040, inReach Messenger - Previous: GPSMAP 66sr, Oregon 700, Dakota 20, Edge 1030 Plus, Edge 1030, Edge 520 Plus, Edge 520
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Yes, third party maps are still supported!

See GPSrChive > GPSMAP 67 > Maps for details.
ConiKost

Unread post by ConiKost »

Is MTP implemented same way as on Automotive devices? On devices like Zumo XT, you can also enable the '.system' folder to get access to all folders, so you would see the same files as you could via usb mass storage.
Garmin DriveSmart 86 MT-D (FW 6.80, HW V8, GPS 9.00.50, 32GB SD)
Garmin Montana 750i (FW 19.00, HW V6, GPS 2.90, Touchscreen 85.07, ​64GB SD)
GPSrChive
Site Admin

We have not yet discovered a method to access hidden system files on the GPSMAP 67.
mimichris

Unread post by mimichris »

In fact it is restricted, no longer possible to unrestrict it to read personal cards in JNX, fortunately there is still the KMZ.
I will never buy anything more or miss autonomy that I do not need it has nothing more than the 66sr for my use.
GPSMAP66sr, GPSMAP67, GPSII+, Twonav Cross.

Return to “GPSMAP 67”