Basecamp data transfer/export/import including List Folders and lists?

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
Mars Express

Basecamp data transfer/export/import including List Folders and lists?

Unread post by Mars Express »

Hi,

I have a nice Collection of List Folders and Lists in my Basecamp library. Is there a way to export a part of the data without losing the List Folders and Lists structure? I selected a Lists Folder and tried >File>Export in both .gpx and .gdb file types, the data was exported fine, but the folder structure was lost.

regards, Marcel.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Basecamp data transfer/export/import including List Folders and lists?

Unread post by GPSrChive »

GPX files do not have the capability to include any 'folder structure'.

Your folder structure in BaseCamp is purely for your convenience, as none of the data listed in any list or folder actually exists in them. BaseCamp data all exists in a single internal database. When you assign any unique track, route, waypoint, etc. to a specific list or folder, BaseCamp is simply placing a 'shortcut' to where that data is located in the internal database. Lists and Folders exist only to help you organize and more easily find the data you want, when you want it.
Mars Express

yes thank you. And because, as you say, "Lists and Folders exist only to help you organize and more easily find the data you want" it would be nice if this could have been part of the export...
sussamb

Unread post by sussamb »

You can set categories though for certain data within BaseCamp, these are exported to certain devices.
Mars Express

Yes, thank you. I do use categories when exporting to zumo or nuvi, but now I would like to export part of my folder structure and import it in a friends basecamp. Exporting and reading data is of course possible, but I understand that the folder structure is unfortunately lost. so be it. thanks everyone for your time.

groet, Marcel.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Now that I understand exactly what you want to achieve, you can copy your entire database to the other machine, then remove the data you don't want on that machine while retaining the original folder structure.

See: GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Data Management > Move BaseCamp Database

Use Option 2 to copy your BaseCamp Database.

Use Option 3 to add your BaseCamp Database to the other machine.
Mars Express

Yes thanks, those are good guides.

but, there seems te be always a but, I'd like to copy a part of my folder structure and add it to my friends existing folder structure..
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Well then you probably need to export each list individually, and have your friend import them one at a time into similarly named lists on their machine.
sussamb

Unread post by sussamb »

The alternative is to create a separate database on your BaseCamp, then export that database for your friend to import. If you're not sure how to do this see Edit, Options, General then click the green plus symbol.

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”