AllData.gdb file

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
deaneborn

AllData.gdb file

Unread post by deaneborn »

Basecamp used to save all the routes and tracks in one file called AllData.gdb However, with Windows 10 that has changed. What is the name of the file and where can I find it now? I need to back it up from time to time.

Dean
SwissPoPo

Re: AllData.gdb file

Unread post by SwissPoPo »

It has not changed.
C:\users\<useraname>\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\BaseCamp\Database\4.6
"AppData" is usually hidden.
deaneborn

Well, I have C:\users\dean\ but no appdata It must be somewhere else.
deaneborn

Oh I see. I need to make appdata unhidden. Sorry I'm slow.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

I configured BaseCamp to use a different location (not the default) on my hard drive to save all my databases, and I regularly make archival copies of those directories.
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

If it wasn't for bad luck, I would not have any luck at all. I am rebuilding after the Windows 10 "spring update", aka version 2004, corrupted my user profile and I was unable to recover. It's a long and very ugly story for another day.

So I have Basecamp 4.7.2 up on the rebuilt drive and, of course, I'd like to easily bring over the tracks I have from my other system, also 4.7.2. So I copied alldata.gdb from the desktop to the laptop, making sure basecamp was NOT running when I did this. However, when I fired up Basecamp on the laptop none of the tracks were there. When I tried to import it into My Collection AS WELL AS when I just tried to double click it, I got an import error. The details column in the dialog said: "Unsupported version". Both computers are WinX version 2004 - just updated yesterday. Both are running BC 4.7.2, both updated today.

As an alternative, I tried exporting file lists. But when I imported them BC put everything into a single track list. This happened even when I created a folder list and imported into that.

I have plenty of other things to keep me busy so I am not in a rush. If anyone has any suggestions about how to easily copy the contents of My Collection from the desktop to the laptop, I would be grateful to hear (read actually) them.

Thanks,
Mike
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

You must copy the complete "C:\users\{useraname}\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\BaseCamp\Database\4.7" directory, not just the AllData.gdb file, from the old machine to the new.

What I do:

I have created a "C:\BCDB\" Directory on my PC HDD. This is the directory I backup regularly to external media.

In this directory, I have additional folders for each unique database I use ("Master", "Wiki", "Trails", etc.).

I can open the desired database by selecting (in BaseCamp) 'Edit > Options > General > Database Options > {desired database} > Switch'.

If you were to copy the contents of the "C:\users\{useraname}\AppData\Roaming\GARMIN\BaseCamp\Database\4.7" directory to one of these folders (for example "Master"), you can then open your database in this manner after restarting BaseCamp.

Additional databases can also be created, edited, deleted or selected as desired from 'Edit > Options > General > Database Options'.

You can use the 'CTRL-O' keyboard shortcut to open the Option Menu directly.

See 'GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Function > Preferences > General > Database Options' for more information.
dmb1319

Unread post by dmb1319 »

Well! Boy! Isn't MY face red! That worked very nicely. And we copy the entire directory (ok 'folder') because it wouldn't make sense for the guys who wrote Basecamp to make back up easy. Don't get me wrong, Basecamp is the bom-diggety and I am a real advocate. But some things....

THANK you VERY much!
The only feeling better than needing something on the trail and having it, is having it and not needing it!
Ride prepared!
Spiney

Unread post by Spiney »

As a follow-on to this, I am running Basecamp 4.6.2 on Windows 10 of an SSD hard drive. After a decade of use, I now have a large set of GPX tracks, BirdsEye JNX files and custom map KMZ files and need to move the complete Basecamp default database off my SSD C: drive and onto to a new external drive to free up space.

Please would someone check the following workflow to see if I have missed anything:

1. Backup Basecamp as usual with File > Backup to an external drive

2. Create a new folder for the database on my new external drive e.g. X:\BCDB\

3. Create a new empty database with Edit > Options > General > +New Database pointing to this new folder (with a Basecamp restart)

4. Restore the backup file with File > Restore into the new database

5. Switch the database back to the default database and delete it with Edit > Options > General > - Delete Database

6. Delete folder: C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Roaming\Garmin\BaseCamp

One question I do have is about step 4 above, should I do a restore or simply copy the 4.6 database file?
sussamb

Unread post by sussamb »

I'd copy the complete database to the location you want it then simply point BaseCamp at that database. Once you're happy it's working correctly you can delete the original database.

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”