Unable to transfer Birdseye Imagery to new GPSr

Discussion related to Garmin BaseCamp software for Windows
pokyyy

Unable to transfer Birdseye Imagery to new GPSr

Unread post by pokyyy »

Just received the 65s and tried to upload some of the OS maps onto it but the error message "Basecamp failed to activate Birdseye Imagery for 65s. Please make sure the imagery has been created for use with this device" keeps coming up and the map does not upload. I used to have 66i and the maps uploaded fine.

I removed the previous devices from Basecamp by using Reg edit. Only the current 65s is showing in the device drop down menu (Options: Device transfer).

When I click open a particular map on the Basecamp, Device Activations tab is only showing the old device as the activated device and not the new device. I am not sure if this is causing the problem. But how do I fix this?

Thanks
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Unable to transfer Birdseye Imagery to new GPSr

Unread post by GPSrChive »

The GPSMAP 65s needs its own subscription.

Please see the BirdsEye tutorials at GPSrChive.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

Oh no. I paid £100 GBP for it and now that is useless? That was the reason I decided to go with a Garmin again.

I think I still have the imagery on a MicroSD but of course that would be assigned to 66i as well.

I will try to contact Garmin because I sent the previous device back to them. I hope they agree to assign my new device to Birdseye imagery.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Did the previous 65s have a valid BirdsEye subscription?
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

The previous one was 66i and this is 65s.

I just managed to get through Garmin USA and they are wanting evidence that I returned the 66i before they can transfer the Birdseye to 65s. I hope I can get a response from the previous retailer.

I read the Birdseye tutorial. I didn't quite understand if there was a way to keep the Birdseye forever without subscription again, I thought that was what I was paying for at the time, given the high price.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

The 66i has BirdsEye Direct, which includes a self renewing subscription.

The 65s has no such thing. It also has a considerably lower price.

The license will not transfer.
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

but the Birdseye Select Great Britain Plus is a one off payment. On Garmin website it says no subscription after that. It was not supposed to be device dependent as I purchased it separately. Garmin said because I had downloaded with the 66i, it is tethered to that device.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

pokyyy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm but the Birdseye Select Great Britain Plus is a one off payment.
Ah, BirdsEye Select Great Britain. That is different than standard BirdsEye Satellite Imagery.

The one time payment is still only applicable to one device.
pokyyy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm On Garmin website it says no subscription after that.
Right, use as much as you like on the one device.
pokyyy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm It was not supposed to be device dependent as I purchased it separately.
ALL Garmin BirdsEye subscriptions are device dependent.
pokyyy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:37 pm Garmin said because I had downloaded with the 66i, it is tethered to that device.
Perhaps they will be kind enough to transfer to the new 65s once they can confirm the 66i has been returned. When doing warranty replacements directly through Garmin, this normally happens automatically, as any subscriptions etc. that are assigned to the returned device are normally transferred to the replacement device when they swap them.

Sounds like you went through a third party?
pokyyy

Unread post by pokyyy »

gpsrchive wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:41 pm Perhaps they will be kind enough to transfer to the new 65s once they can confirm the 66i has been returned. When doing warranty replacements directly through Garmin, this normally happens automatically, as any subscriptions etc. that are assigned to the returned device are normally transferred to the replacement device when they swap them.

Sounds like you went through a third party?
That is what I am counting on, their kindness. Admittedly, I thought once downloaded my voucher (25000 sq km), it was like using the equivalent SD card that has whole of Britain on it; I could use it on any device. I have all the maps I downloaded on the microSD but clearly that is also locked to the previous 66i. I wish there was a way to use the microSD on any device and just upload the routes from Basecamp but only now I understand this is not possible at all.

Yes, I purchased the device from Ordnance Survey UK and returned it to them.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

pokyyy wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:47 am Yes, I purchased the device from Ordnance Survey UK and returned it to them.
They should help Garmin verify the 66i was returned on your behalf. Have you asked them?

Return to “BaseCamp (PC)”