Two weekends and so far so great

Discussion related to the Garmin Tread, Tread SxS, Tread Overland, and Tread Overland XL Powersport Navigators
bananachunks

Two weekends and so far so great

Unread post by bananachunks »

I posted over on ADVRider and then realized I should probably post here as well...

As much as I probably shouldn't say it out loud, so far so great with the Tread. Of course, that could be because of my shite experience with the XT and (recently) with the 700i. I have it wired up to my CB500X. The last two weekends of camp/ride with the Tread have been above expectations. All of the "good" of the XT, plus PLUM and MVUM. None of the myriad charging issues I had with the XT. I'm back to using the 66i (on my person) as my InReach, so even if it goes tits-up, it doesn't take out my nav (for the last month+ I've had spontaneous reboot issues with the 700i; unsure what causes the first crash, but after that, it blows up every time it tries to upload an InReach track/point/update).

For my wants/needs, I love the XT styled Up Ahead, which I have setup for Gas, Rest Stops, and "camping".
Once off-pavement, I have immediate access to whether I'm supposed to be on a given trail or not.
And then knowing exactly where I am in relation to NFS/BLM boundaries when looking to set up the tent is priceless.

I noticed right away that the XT/Tread mounts are slightly different - the Tread's mount is bigger, so no cross-mounting (I wanted to use the Tread without dealing with wiring it up, but it didn't fit the XT mount, so no lazy for me.)

I have the Touratech locking mount pre-ordered. (I never had an issue with the XT mount in this regard, even with other parts of my moto squeaking, clanking, or falling apart; same with Tread mount so far)

I may get to try out the radio on this upcoming weekend's ride via my helmet mounted Sena 10C Evo.

Still a bit disappointed that when I spoke with Garmin Support earlier this year asking if there was any way to get Public Land Use Maps onto the XT, "Just take my money!", they replied with "Not possible." They announced the Tread about a month later. **eyeroll**

As an FYI, it did update late last week, and is now on firmware 6.50.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Two weekends and so far so great

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Excellent news!

Thank you for sharing your experience here!

Return to “Tread”