Wrong Cadence while not moving

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
moppedurmel

Re: Wrong Cadence while not moving

Unread post by moppedurmel »

Got a final answer from Garmin: The measurement as seen in the screenshots is correct so that there is no further investigation done.

For my part I think that there is still an issue because the fenix reports way earlier the value zero when i stopped pedaling than the oregon. But because the hardware replacement the cadence value goes to zero when I stopped, so this is ok for me.

The solution is if one has problems with wrong cadence to replace the Garmin Cadence with Garmin Cadence 2.

Last question: should we close the error report now?

Kind regards
Stefan
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

As we understand from your posts, the Fenix still does a better job of reporting correct Cadence than the Oregon when using the same sensor, and the Oregon behavior is improved when using a Cadence Sensor 2, but still not on par with the Fenix.

Using the second generation sensor is not a true fix, but rather a band-aid that improves the behavior, while the underlying issue remains present on the device.

'GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Common Issues > Bug 46' has been updated to reflect this information.

Thank you for the update!
moppedurmel

Yes, this is correct. I had to look what band aid means in german, it's a not so bad description. ;)

I'm wondering why the Oregon sometimes changed the cadence value to zero in about some seconds and sometimes it took a couple of ten seconds. This behaviour could be seen in the screenshots of Fenix and Oregon.

I will take a look on the next version of the firmware an keep this thread up to date.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

As the small ANT+ sensors simply Tx data at a specified frequency, it is almost certainly an issue with the Oregon 7x0 that causes the response time discrepancies.

Should I find the time, I may do a short ride with multiple GPSr reading the same Cadence Sensor, then compare the data after the fact.
moppedurmel

Today I made a small tour using the new firmware 7.90 on my Oregon. And yes, the cadence is now shown properly.

Below is a screenshot of the cadence measured by the Oregon:
cadence_oregon.png
And here by the Fenix:
cadence_fenix.png
As you can see they are mostly identical.

Oh, version 5.40 somehow passed me by. :D

Kind regards
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by moppedurmel on Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you moppedurmel for confirming Bug 46 has been resolved on your device!
mccross

Unread post by mccross »

I agree, the cadence sensing is working much better in 5.90. Thanks to those who brought this to Garmin's attention.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”