Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Oregon 7x0 Firmware 4.80

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Oregon 7x0 Firmware 4.80

Available March 05, 2020.

Changes made from version 4.70 to 4.80:
  • Improved XERO laser location transfers.
  • Fixed issue where spot soundings would sometimes not appear correctly.
Given the length of time since the last update (8 months) and the number of well documented bugs and crashes that remain unresolved, this anemic update is very disappointing to say the very least. It would appear Garmin will continue to build on their reputation of not completing one project before starting the next, leaving their ever dwindling customer base to pay the price. They have no one to blame but themselves.

As always, post your observations about this new firmware release here.
Plato

Re: Oregon 7x0 Firmware 4.80

Unread post by Plato »

Very disappointing to see my Oregon 700 is end of life as far as Garmin is concerned. The large list of bugs and feature requests remains unanswered.
I was hoping for a revolutionary 800 model with a fast processor and a more compact case like the Edge 1030. This would imply a lithium-ion battery but that's no problem anymore for outdoor use since I can charge it with my foldable solar panel and/or powerbank.

After many years of hiking with Garmin units I finally decided to leave my Oregon 700 at home this year. My upcoming 2000 km hike will be guided by my waterproof Samsung phone. Locus Map Pro with free OSM topo maps is much more capable and versatile than my Oregon.
dydxdx

Re: Oregon 7x0 Firmware 4.80

Unread post by dydxdx »

Plato...I hear you. Been using CalTopo on my cellphone for outdoor activities, instead of my OR700, and have enjoyed the bigger screen, and the faster zooming, scrolling response. Map choice are great. I suppose for the geocachers, the Garmin handhelds will always be there. But for hiking, climbing, I've jumped ship.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”