Geo Dashboard, Routing, Night Mode, Touch

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
stantastic

Geo Dashboard, Routing, Night Mode, Touch

Unread post by stantastic »

I called Garmin tech support the other day and was surprised -- because he actually sounded INTERESTED in my issues and tried to duplicate them while on the phone -- and submitted a report. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced the following:

1) When using the Geocaching dashboard AND while the GPS is in Automobile Driving mode (i.e., it's following a calculated route to a cache), the arrow within the circle ALWAYS points straight ahead, regardless of where the cache is physically located from where the GPS is physically located. If navigation is switched from Automobile Driving to Direct Route, the arrow in the dashboard WILL point to where the cache is located even when the GPS changes direction.

2) When navigating in Automobile Driving mode and a route is being followed (similar to the above), when stopped at a red light OR when stopped at a stop sign for a few seconds, the underlying map ALWAYS rotates about 90 degrees away from the direction of travel. When the vehicle starts moving again, the map reorients and points in the direction of travel (along the purple route line).

3) When using the Geocaching dashboard on the map screen IN NIGHT MODE, the underlying roads will show THROUGH the arrow in the dashboard. In DAY MODE this is not an issue -- the arrow appears 100% opaque. But at night, there are map artifacts showing within the arrow, even as the arrow rotates. Doesn't matter what the night mode color is.

4) My touch screen (e.g., when finding -- or not finding -- a cache and entering a comment) appears to be slow responding to a touch. I notice on the 750 that each press of a key both hi-lites the key AND shows a pop-up of that key above it. I don't recall the 650 ever doing that. But the response doesn't seem as instantaneous on MY unit as it did on the 650. Talking to tech support, and after a few questions were asked, I had forgotten to mention that I have a GLASS PROTECTOR over the 750's screen -- and he suggested that MIGHT be why response is a tad sluggish. BUT, I had a glass protector on my 650 and that wasn't an issue (although, NOT the same brands of glass).

So, just wondering if anyone else has had the above issues.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Re: Geo Dashboard, Routing, Night Mode, Touch

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Firmware version?
stantastic

Software version 4.70
Display SW version 85.08
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

stantastic wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:57 pm Software version 4.70
Display SW version 85.08
Thank You!

1) This is normal behavior on all Garmin GPSr when routing to a destination. During 'Direct' navigation, the next destination is always the final destination and the Compass Arrow (Bearing) will always point toward the destination. During any other routing method, the bearing displayed is always toward the next destination, not the final destination.

2) Also normal Garmin GPSr behavior when navigating inside an automobile. The electronic compass uses the earths magnetic field to determine heading while stationary or moving at very slow speeds (walking, hiking, etc.), but once above a predetermined minimum speed, the GPSr disables the 3D compass and compares current and previous GPS location data to determine direction of travel. The reason for this is exactly the behavior you are reporting, where the GPSr has trouble determining correct device heading while inside a large Faraday cage.

3) Thank you for reporting this behavior! Oregon 7x0 > Common Issues > Bug 39 now posted and reported to Garmin!

4) While testing our Oregon 750t without any screen protector installed we are unable to duplicate any slow response, the on screen keyboard is very quick and responds as fast as we can press the buttons. Why are you using a screen protector on an Oregon 7x0 series GPSr? Have you seen the videos on the GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Hardware > Durability page?
stantastic

1) I don't recall the arrow "freezing" facing straight ahead (WRT to the top of the unit) regardless of which way the unit is pointed on my old 650 when following a calculated route towards a cache. I'll have to take it out of the drawer and try it again to refresh my memory.

2) Again, I don't recall on my old 650 the map "spinning" 90 degrees whenever the car came to a stop. I understand the factors involved being inside an automobile and how it might influence the compass, but having the map turn while stopped -- I'll whip out the 650 and try it again. If it had been a "normal" thing with my old unit, I don't think I would have noted it happening on my newer 750 -- I ran the 650 for I don't know how many years.

4) Yes, I've seen videos of drop tests and scratch tests with the newer Garmin units, but you know, it's kinda like the Peter Principle -- if something CAN go wrong, it WILL ;-) There are times when I'm caching around rock piles or jagged rock walls, etc., with the unit hanging on my neck, and I reach forward to poke around looking for a cache and don't think about the unit hanging there and smash, my chest or belly pushes it right into some sharp, pointy granite protrusion. I DID do that with my od 650 and it DID leave a mark. Thus my cautious use of a screen protector.

Return to “Oregon 7x0”