Auto Reconnect to WiFi Question

Discussion related to the Garmin Oregon 7x0 series GPSr
luvvinbird

Auto Reconnect to WiFi Question

Unread post by luvvinbird »

Now that the much anticipated version update for the GPSMAP 66 series has arrived, I'm once again cautiously using my 66s. That said, I've temporarily put aside my Oregon 700. I have had many enjoyable outings with it compared to the aforementioned "door stop". One minor issue, however, may or may not be an issue at all. I've set up both Bluetooth and WiFi and Bluetooth connects automatically to my phone when close enough but Wi-Fi never automatically connects. On the Status screen, I see the Wi-Fi icon blinking but it'll never connect until I manually disconnect and reconnect Wi-Fi. Once reconnected the device "sees" what's available and instantly connects. While in that searching mode, there are no Wi-Fi signals displayed. Like I said, minor and no big deal as I can easily reconnect via the method I indicated. Anyone else experience this?
luvvinbird

Re: Auto Reconnect to WiFi Question

Well, it's been almost a month and I guess no one but me has an Oregon 700 that won't autoconnect to my home WiFi. My 66s does so I thought my Oregon should, too. Simply toggling the wi-fi switch off, then on, allows the reconnect. Normal?
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Unread post by GPSrChive »

Duplicated and verified.....

Posted as Bug 38 on Oregon 7x0 Common Issues page.

Thank You!
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Luvvinbird: Do you also have a Bluetooth connection enabled when this occurs?
luvvinbird

gpsrchive wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:44 pm Luvvinbird: Do you also have a Bluetooth connection enabled when this occurs?
Yes. I've since turned off WiFi altogether. As a reference, my 66s has both Bluetooth and WiFi activated and the WiFi always reconnects automatically.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Please test your Oregon 7x0 with Bluetooth enabled and disabled as well as ANT sensors enabled and disabled and see what the WiFi behavior is over several power cycles for each.
luvvinbird

I'll gladly do some further testing and post the results here.
luvvinbird

luvvinbird wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:35 pm I'll gladly do some further testing and post the results here.
I thought I might have something positive to report when I noticed that the symbol for (Garmin) Tempe Sensor and Wi-Fi both blinked at the identical same rate. I quickly disconnected the Tempe sensor but Wi-Fi would not reconnect. I shut the receiver down and rebooted with Tempe sensor still disconnected but, again, no Wi-Fi auto connection unless I switched Wi-Fi off and then on. I'm aware of my home Wi-Fi boundaries and was well beyond them but my GPSr still showed I was connected. There may possibly be some "hang time" before it indicates no signal because when I shut the switch off, and then back on, it searched for a signal but would not automatically connect when I walked back indoors. Regarding Bluetooth, there was no difference in the Wi-Fi behaviour. On or off--no difference. BT, BTW, works like a champ and connects in a few seconds even with the Tempe sensor activated.
GPSrChive
Site Admin

Thank you, will pass this information on!

Return to “Oregon 7x0”